Respected Contributor

Sweden, how they dealt with covid-19

Sweden has been hailed as the country who's leaders decided to impose no quarantines or shutdowns.  Everyone is at work, school, restaurants, etc. The only guidelines was to stay at "arm's length."

Just saw the data today and here is how it is working with Sweden and its neighbors:

Sweden deaths  2,462

Norway deaths 207

Finland deaths 206

Denmark deaths 443

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sweden, how they dealt with covid-19

Sweden has acknowledged they let their elderly down.

But their approach is interesting to look at.  The young children are in school, the high schoolers aren't.  A lot of people are working from home.  I just saw they dumped tons of manure fertilizer in a public park to discourage people from congregating there during some upcoming festival!  They estimate they have achieved about 20-25% herd immunity although that isn't their goal.

It's interesting to look at Sweden as some of the less hard hit states here attempt to go to work.  Can people keep up precautions to an extent that will keep Covid at bay?  

But no matter what approach any country has taken, its deaths, not enough PPE, shortages across the board.

Esteemed Contributor

Will have to see how it works out long term.  As places start opening and the predicted second wave, Sweden may have eliminated those concerns and not decimated their economy.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I'd have to know the total population in to each of those four countries before making a comment. The percentages are what matter.

Super Contributor

I think the numbers speak for themselves.  Would you really say this country's approach to a pandemic was wise?  And, if Sweden's citizens are as litigious as Americans, the class action suits are going to be astronomical.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

I'd have to know the total population in to each of those four countries before making a comment. The percentages are what matter.

@AuntG 

Here ya go Auntg....I dont like to do math....

Country Population 2020

Denmark5,792,202
Finland5,540,720
Greenland56,770
Iceland341,243
Norway5,421,241
Sweden10,099,265

Sweden deaths  2,462

Norway deaths 207

Finland deaths 206

Denmark deaths 443

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

If I am not mistaken, Sweden had already isolated its most vulnerable people before this unrestricted program began.  in the meantime, we have all learned that children are vulnerable, as well as adults well under the age of 60.

Honored Contributor

I  don't see Sweden's experiment as a template for other countries at all. The only thing that may have going for them is that they have a very homogenous population. Still, it seems to be a very dangerous route to take.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@AuntGI also work by percentages.   We have cities let alone states with economies bigger than Sweden.  It's tough to compare.

We can make numbers jump all sorts of hoops, but unless we compare apples to apples, the numbers won't tell me I'm in danger or tell me I'm safe.  Percentages might.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Just to lighten things up a bit (plus it amuses me) the Swedish city of Lund is using manure to discourage social gathering.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52481096

Denise