Respected Contributor

Suze Orman Said People In Dire Financial Straits Should Find New Homes For Their Pets. Would You?

Not that I necessarily buy the couple in question's assertion that things were so bad they "couldn't buy milk" for their kids{#emotions_dlg.mellow}...

Suze Orman noted that they had four pets (costing $200/mo) and, though she said she knew she'd hear from viewers, she suggested they find new homes for them. I noticed other monthy expenditures of $47 for the husband's video games, $80 for their booze, and $120 for his cigarettes, and other discretionary spending, all of which she told them to chuck, as they had no savings. She later, in another segment, went on to say that one pet alone can be a drain on finances (yes, they can) and made the same suggestion.

The time for people to decide whether or not they can make the financial committment to a pet is before they get one. From what I've seen and heard of, many adults (especially the elderly) will feed their pets before they, themselves, eat. We would never get rid of a pet due to financial vicissitudes.

Would you?

What worries you masters you.