Super Contributor

Re: Sussex Royal Baby Named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor

When I hear the name Archie, I ever think of Archie Bunker or the Archie comic strip. 

Esteemed Contributor

@06greatwife wrote:

When I hear the name Archie, I ever think of Archie Bunker or the Archie comic strip. 

@06greatwife 

Me, too!

All I can think of is, "Poor kid!" *lol*

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

My grandfather and grandmother were English. His name was Archibald, but everyone called him Arch.

It will be interesting to learn (eventually) why they chose it. There must be SOME reasoning behind it. Who would just randomly come up with the name Archie? A nickname or short for something, yes. But to be his proper, given name?

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 : I thought the same thing. Archie?? Archie Bunker pops into my head. 

He does look like a beautiful baby from what we can see.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A casual first name (Archie) and a formal middle name (Harrison)...  nice.

Trusted Contributor

@AngelLove2 : I’m hoping the same thing, redhead or not. His dad was always such an imp that I hope this little boy is similar.

Trusted Contributor

@Bri369 : I didn’t care for George when they first named him but, yes they grow into and fit their name

Honored Contributor

They look so happy😀. Thanks for posting
Esteemed Contributor

I was so sure they would name him Spencer after Diana, or at least as a middle name.  Archie ???? Oh well there baby .  I think right now anyways he  favors his dad.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I doubt Archie Bunker is on their radar.  Nothing wrong with that name.

"Archie is the nickname for Archibald, a name that dates back to Middle Ages-era Scotland. Meaning “genuine” and “bold.” Archibald was an aristocratic name in Scotland, Evans says. It’s not exactly the same case with its diminutive, Archie, which is a wildly popular name in the United Kingdom, according to Evans.

In 2017, Archie was no. 18 on the top 100 boys’ names in England and Wales, he says. Similar sounding names like Alfie, Charlie, Freddie and Teddy have also ranked in the top name choices on the list.

“The choice definitely shows their personality, but also to a certain extent, the changes in the royal family as a whole, where things have become — especially since Princess Diana’s death — more open,” Evans says, referring to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. “They probably want to modernize it and want the royal family to be seen as regular people, which is why they’d choose a name like Archie, which at the moment is a regular, everyday British boy’s name.”

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.