Respected Contributor

Re: Sussex Royal Baby Named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor

Certainly the child will be nicknamed "Little Hare" by his inner circle, an endearment to his father.   

Meghan goes by her middle name .... not her first, "Rachel."

Trusted Contributor

When I first saw the name, Archie Bunker popped right into my head. I’ve since read that the name Archie is among top 20 names for boys in UK. He looks to be a very cute little fellow. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@comedy clubber wrote:

Talk about offensive, @Sooner; Haggis is gross, and to suggest that someone, anyone would name their  child that is extremely repulsive and disrespectful, not funny!!!

@comedy clubber What are you talking about?  Haggis is a traditional dish  and the National DIsh of Scotland and those folks that live there would be very upset at your saying it is repulsive. Robet Burns wrote a poem to it. 

It is a rich traditional dish, and yes, it eaten and sometimes carried in on a silver tray with a few bagpipers playing to celebrate it's coming to the table. 

Edited to add: Prince Harry was given the Duke of Dumbarton title—which refers to a Scottish town to the west of Glasgow—by the queen on the morning of his wedding.  So there is the direct tie to Scotland!  

It's silly, it's a joke.  Lighten up!   And check your facts first! 

Respected Contributor

The New Yorker had a commentary by Anthony Lane on May 8 about the whole introduction of Archie, choosing names, etc. I will quote just this one paragraph, but the whole thing is a good read:

Archie! Or, to be precise, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. (Good luck practicing your signature, my lad.) The first thing to be noted is that, although “Archie” may strike an odd and unprecedented note in regal nomenclature, Archies are no big deal in British middle-class families. Archies are all over the place. There are playgroups awash with Archies. In some areas of London, if you stand up at a children’s party and call out “Archie!,” nine little boys will come running, smeared in cake.

Also, I was curious, so I looked it up. Queen Elizabeth's other great grandchildren are named Savannah (Phillips), Isla (Phillips), Prince George, Mia (Tindall), Princess Charlotte, Prince Louis, and Lena (Tindall).

Super Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I think it is a  lousy name,they missed the opportunity, to put Spencer in there.

It's ok....William and Kate missed three chances to put "SPENCER" in there....so maybe for their 4th, they'll do it.

Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I have an uncle named Archie. It's funny how people think that name is so horrible now. It was quite popular in this country in the past and is popular over there now. I don't know why people feel the need to chime in on a baby's name when it isn't theirs. The other royal baby names like George and Louis sound really old fashioned and out of date to me, but I know that's totally common in their country, and those names are steeped in meaning and history for them. I'm sure a lot of people find popular American names horrible including your names.

ITA, @JJsMom .

I am seeing a lot of the "Ugly American" complex going on here. Archie isn't a name popular here, so we must make fun of it and call it ugly, yadda yadda yadda. 

I would guess the British would indeed find the  prolific use of the names Madison and Jacob in the USA  to be amusing too.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I read he will be entitled to "lord" as a title. Not really into the titles myself, and feel Harry and Meghan probably won't dwell on it either.
Honored Contributor

When she was young, Meghan collected Archie comic books and named her cat Archie as well.