Honored Contributor

Re: Sussex Royal Baby Named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor

Don't blame Meghan and Harry for your limited exposure to Archies.

There are lots of them in history, many athletes and musicians among them.

Here's one of my favorite Archies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN7vm-k-AaA

Valued Contributor

I wonder if George named him or as one articles
stated maybe George heard them throwing names around and he liked it for a nickname. I didn't like the name George at first but he looks like a Georgie.I' m sure Archie will grow into his name. Two years from now everyone will say it fits him.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sushismom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

But Archie? SIL in the Midlands had a boy last year and that name wasn't on the list of anything popular. Family thinks Archie is comical and nothing more.

Maybe Lord Ollie will join Lord Archie in a few years.

Yet the name was 15th in popularity in the U.K. last year. 

@Sushismom  You won't like this response....but those who follow the "popular" lists are usually among the footballers crowd and those who see them as being "posh". Class structure exists there just as it does here. Everyone/common British name...yes, well, the Royal family isn't everyone or common. If they REALLY want to be that, then give up all the trappings that the people are paying for, get a job and share all the goodies.

NOT going to happen with those two.

Honored Contributor

Aww, I love the name!

Honored Contributor

People.com says Princess Diana had an ancestor named Archibald Campbell, 9th Earl of Argyll

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

My grandfather and grandmother were English. His name was Archibald, but everyone called him Arch.

It will be interesting to learn (eventually) why they chose it. There must be SOME reasoning behind it. Who would just randomly come up with the name Archie? A nickname or short for something, yes. But to be his proper, given name?

@AussieLuvr, one of my first thoughts on learning the name was to wonder if it is significant to Harry from his days of service or someone from the Invictus Games that was/is important to him.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

@Marp I never even thought about that; good call.

It just seems like such a simple name to put in front of Mountbatten-Windsor.

Its a cute name for a kid, but this child will have to grow into this name as an adult and its almost a little silly, considering he has such a complicated last name.

Of course, just because they named him Archie doesn't mean they'll call him Archie. They may call him Harry due to his dad's name and his middle name.

They could nickname him anything. Only time will tell whether they actually call him Archie. 

I don't think my grandfather would have liked it at all if anyone had called him Archie. Too diminutive and familiar for his English taste. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

visits from the great grands

See the source image

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I really love the name. I think as he grows into it, he will be a lot like his dad..playful and Archie will fit him to a T.

Super Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

If Archie was good enough for Cary Grant (born Archibald/Archie Leach) it's good enough for baby Sussex---LOL!!!

But it wasn’t good enough.....since he went by Cary Grant 😬