Respected Contributor

Susan Powell's Parent Win Lawsuit

[ Edited ]

I'm sure most of you remember the tragic story of Susan Powell and her 2 boys Charlie and Braden that were so horrifically murdered at the hands of Josh Powell. Susan's body has still never been found.

The jury actually made the award in the amount of 115 million against DSHS, 98 mil to Susan's parents and/but said that Josh Powell was liable for 16 mil., the coward that took his own pathetic life too. Just google ' Susan Powells parents' and choose from the many news outlets that reported this last night. Susan's parents filed this claim against Wa. state and rightly so, the trial started in Feb. of 2019.

eta~ Josh's creepy dad took his life too in jail while awaiting trial if I remember correctly. What a strange strange guy was he.

Respected Contributor

Re: Susan Powell's Parent Win Lawsuit

Josh and Susan lived about 3 miles west of me so I've followed this story from the beginning.  I'm glad her parents won the case, but I'll bet they have a hard time collecting any money.  There will probably be an appeal that drags on, then where is all that money coming from.  

Esteemed Contributor

Then there's the hefty payout to the lawyers. 

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Josh and Susan lived about 3 miles west of me so I've followed this story from the beginning.  I'm glad her parents won the case, but I'll bet they have a hard time collecting any money.  There will probably be an appeal that drags on, then where is all that money coming from.  

@Scooby Doo  Yes. They will probably be passed away before anyone sees any money... unless they work out something for much less.  That will probably be what happens.  Regardless...  Washington state Child protective Services is the worst probably in the country... and they should be fines and totally overhauled. Too many children die in their care. 

Respected Contributor

Hopefully this agency will improve after all of this came to light.

I cannot even imagine the pain this family must bear....😭😭😭😭

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

In truth, this is probably not about the money but to hold the state liable.

Surely the states appeal will drag out for years, I agree.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy I know in most car accidents the lawyers get 1/3 of what's received.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden   And you can put the Los Angeles county child services group right there with Washington States.  They take zero responsibility for multiple kids that have died while they had ongoing cases, and many, many, many people kept reporting the abuse, and they did zilch.   How do they live with themselves knowing their lack of action resulted in those poor children losing their lives.  Disgraceful!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

The original investigators in Utah were sure incompetent, IMO.  Really, no wife around and the husband takes the kids camping in the dead of winter?  And there's a large wet spot on the carpeting he is trying to dry out with a fan while he is gone camping?  Not suspicious enough to warrent a search of the carpeting to check for DNA?

Also, Josh's father took off work for several days around that time, and this was also reported to the authorities but it wasn't followed up on.  

Lots of mistakes in this case.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaGal wrote:

I'm sure most of you remember the tragic story of Susan Powell and her 2 boys Charlie and Braden that were so horrifically murdered at the hands of Josh Powell. Susan's body has still never been found.

The jury actually made the award in the amount of 115 million against DSHS, 98 mil to Susan's parents and/but said that Josh Powell was liable for 16 mil., the coward that took his own pathetic life too. Just google ' Susan Powells parents' and choose from the many news outlets that reported this last night. Susan's parents filed this claim against Wa. state and rightly so, the trial started in Feb. of 2019.

eta~ Josh's creepy dad took his life too in jail while awaiting trial if I remember correctly. What a strange strange guy was he.

Josh Powell's icky dad, Steve, died of a heart attack in 2108, after being released from prison in 2017, not by his own hand.