Respected Contributor

Re: Susan Lucci has heart disease

She said her father dropped dead of a heart attack at 41.

Honored Contributor

Rampant heart disease in my Dad's family-- both he and my grandmother had heart attacks and other issues.

My Dad was a slim fitness buff who ate sparingly and healthily, and exercised and walked prodigiously.  I'm glad that he at least took care of himself as much as he could.

In our generation, my siblings and I have had some of the issues, to varying degrees--  HPB and "arrhythmia" (sp?) type things...

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I know more than a few people who are fooling themselves with their obsession with healthy habits, when there are genetic issues out of their control.  

@RedTop, "obsession" in this context is surely subjective. I know people who think it's obsessive to even be interested in adopting a healthy lifestyle because, you know. we're going to die regardless or it's all in the genes.

But I do agree that being consumed with worry can't be good for us either.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Wow! Hard to believe she's 72. I had no idea.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with @hyacinth003 .  Some things remain out of our control.  My parents both had high cholesterol.  Dad lived till 89 and Mom is still alive at 89.  Dad did have open heart surgery in his 60's.  Actually, he didn't even die of a heart condition. His dad died at 61 of a massive heart attack. Most all my other grandparents lived to be 80 and some in their 90's (that includes great grandparents).

My doctors all tell me that if I don't take the fairly new medication, Repatha, I may do ok for 5 yrs. and at about 9 yrs...... I'll be in trouble again.  I have opted not to take it and am concentrating more on quality of life over quantity (or length) of life.  When I sit and ponder things, I feel that at 69, I have already lived a lot longer than a lot of people do.  My doctors are all against my decision but it is my choice at least for now.  I am tired of the side effects of some of these medications. While I fear the pain of dying, I do not fear the moment of death. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3,

Using the word obsession fits the specific people I was thinking about with this subject.  

My SIL has been obsessed with her weight her entire life.   In the last 2 years, she has had a heart cath and 5 stents, learned she carries an inherited clotting disorder, and was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder.   

I’ve got 2 male cousins (brothers) who are obsessed with eating healthy and staying slim and trim.   Not a thing wrong with that, but their cholesterol is almost uncontrollable, even on medication.   This was inherited directly thru their dad.   Their mom carried extra weight all of her life, had normal cholesterol levels, and died with cancer at 87.  The youngest brother is very rigid with his diet, but has lost part of his intestines due to an unknown virus, and an eye, due to cancer.   He still can’t believe what has happened to him because “he eats so healthy and takes care of himself”.   

I am 63 years old, and refuse to obsess about my health.  I grew up on a farm where Grandpa sprayed everything with malathion.   We lived on the opposite side of the farm and could walk outside and know right away when Grandpa was spraying the orchard.   Dad and 3 siblings died of cancer, both of my brothers and numerous cousins have had cancer issues.   

I get up every morning determined to live the day as best I can, and be happy.    I’m going to eat cake and drink original Coke until the day I die, with no regrets.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@suzyQ3,

Using the word obsession fits the specific people I was thinking about with this subject.  

My SIL has been obsessed with her weight her entire life.   In the last 2 years, she has had a heart cath and 5 stents, learned she carries an inherited clotting disorder, and was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder.   

I’ve got 2 male cousins (brothers) who are obsessed with eating healthy and staying slim and trim.   Not a thing wrong with that, but their cholesterol is almost uncontrollable, even on medication.   This was inherited directly thru their dad.   Their mom carried extra weight all of her life, had normal cholesterol levels, and died with cancer at 87.  The youngest brother is very rigid with his diet, but has lost part of his intestines due to an unknown virus, and an eye, due to cancer.   He still can’t believe what has happened to him because “he eats so healthy and takes care of himself”.   

I am 63 years old, and refuse to obsess about my health.  I grew up on a farm where Grandpa sprayed everything with malathion.   We lived on the opposite side of the farm and could walk outside and know right away when Grandpa was spraying the orchard.   Dad and 3 siblings died of cancer, both of my brothers and numerous cousins have had cancer issues.   

I get up every morning determined to live the day as best I can, and be happy.    I’m going to eat cake and drink original Coke until the day I die, with no regrets.

@RedTop, I'm glad that you elaborated. Of course we each have to do what we're comfortable with.

My choice is to eat what I have determined to be a heathful diet and to exercise regularly. I try to do both in a reasonable fashion. For me, this way of living makes me happy and comfortable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

From what I've heard, pretty much everyone over the age of twenty has some degree of heart disease. In most cases it's extremely mild, but once we're fully grown and adult, it's all downhill. Calcification starts to build up, plaque starts to accumulate, and performance starts to slip. That's why athletes tend to peak athletically early. They may perform better a bit later in life thanks to experience they've accrued, but physically, most are at their peak in their early twenties.

I think a lot of people want to believe they have more control than they do. In reality, we're pretty much all just passengers in life and not drivers. You can be really stupid and get yourself killed sooner, but you can also live a life of deprivation and die early in spite of it. There is no "Get Out of Death Free" card. Everyone dies. 

I tend to view moderation as the best choice. Don't deprive yourself of things you love because they're "unhealthy", but don't over-indulge either. Find a middle ground where you're comfortable, enjoy the things you love, but aren't throwing your life away.  A few years back a cardiology convention came to Philly and a local reporter was covering it. After a morning of listening to endless lectures on the role bad food choices made in heart disease, he was embarrassed to slip into a nearby McDonald's for a quick lunch. His embarrassment went away pretty quickly when he noticed those who had given the earlier lectures sitting nearby with Big Macs and fries.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

gardenman beat me to it. No matter how healthy you try to live something is going to get you eventually. The upside for her is she did take care of herself so her family history didn't cause her trouble earlier.

At some point some things have to start to go south and I think if it begins in your 70s that's pretty good. Otherwise we'd all be here forever which sounds exhausting to be honest. Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

Yep, genetics have a lot to do with health......you can exercise, eat right, have great blood pressure readings, be at the ideal weight...but that is only part of your health picture

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”