Honored Contributor

Re: Susan Lucci has heart disease

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

From what I've heard, pretty much everyone over the age of twenty has some degree of heart disease. In most cases it's extremely mild, but once we're fully grown and adult, it's all downhill. Calcification starts to build up, plaque starts to accumulate, and performance starts to slip. That's why athletes tend to peak athletically early. They may perform better a bit later in life thanks to experience they've accrued, but physically, most are at their peak in their early twenties.

I think a lot of people want to believe they have more control than they do. In reality, we're pretty much all just passengers in life and not drivers. You can be really stupid and get yourself killed sooner, but you can also live a life of deprivation and die early in spite of it. There is no "Get Out of Death Free" card. Everyone dies. 

I tend to view moderation as the best choice. Don't deprive yourself of things you love because they're "unhealthy", but don't over-indulge either. Find a middle ground where you're comfortable, enjoy the things you love, but aren't throwing your life away.  A few years back a cardiology convention came to Philly and a local reporter was covering it. After a morning of listening to endless lectures on the role bad food choices made in heart disease, he was embarrassed to slip into a nearby McDonald's for a quick lunch. His embarrassment went away pretty quickly when he noticed those who had given the earlier lectures sitting nearby with Big Macs and fries.

@gardenman 

That's my philosophy too "moderation"......I eat healthy all week and exercise....but on Saturdays when I get together with friends it's whatever we want....Woman Very Happy...

My moms doctor a top cardiologist, said some of what is considered important numbers only contributes a small percentage of a person's health.....like chloesterol my only be a 10% factor....

My cousin's a nurse, and she always got a kick out of one of the doctor's who came into the cardiology section of the hospital eating a bag of potato chips (his favorite food)....gotta love it..😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”