Trusted Contributor

Re: Surveys & Employees/bonuses

The young lady told me all 17 questions relate to her even though some of the questions are not directed at her! She said if she doesn't get excellent on all 17 questions she gets no bonus. It's a guilt trip and it is irritating to me.
Respected Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
The young lady told me all 17 questions relate to her even though some of the questions are not directed at her! She said if she doesn't get excellent on all 17 questions she gets no bonus. It's a guilt trip and it is irritating to me.

I agree that it's irritating, but imagine how it is for her.  This seems a bit much for the company to be doing.  I also wonder whether they use it as a way to pay people less with the promise of a bonus that they make easy for them to withhold.  Some of these workers are younger people who have a lot of lessons to learn yet.  That's why I'd rather tell them what the problem is so that they can at least think about it and do better in the future.  However, as I said, for someone who's really outrageous I don't care what happens to that worker.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son sells cars for a living.  He is a very kind, considerate, not pushy young man.  He has had a few humdinger, bad attitude customers.  He never gets flustered and prays alot and believes the customer is always right.  No matter how rude or ugly these people get, he never breaks.  Eventually they will buy the car but being the bad attitude jerks they are, they let that attitude reflect in their survey which takes money out of my son's pocket.  I hate the surveys too.  Not fair becuase it does not portray what actually happened.  It is merely the POV of the customer.  PLEASE  do be honest on the survey buy these people do get "extra" $$ if the survey is good.  I might suggest to the person where it fell below excellent so they at least know.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Employees are not supposed to say they can lose their jobs or won't get bonuses if you don't give a positive restonse on those surveys. At some places that kind of request will result in them being fired. I've seen it happen. Begging is inappropriate and I would consider reporting the behavior. They know they are not supposed to do that.

I rarely do do those surveys. If they were very good or very bad I am more likely to. I am always honest. It doesn't help anyone to be dishonest.

Honored Contributor

My car was totalled last summer and I needed a new one fast.

I had an excellent buying experience. The salesman told me that if I didn't mark all lines on the survey as a 10, the dealership would be penalized by the manufacturer and have to pay more for cars in the future.

He was great and I had no problem giving him the highest marks...but it took 3 weeks for the survey to arrive via e-mail and he kept calling me to see if I had filled it out!

I sell TV advertising. A competitor at another station told a new prospect that salepeople have to make 50 "touches" a week - all entered into a computer program. She had to present to the prospect, then follow up with calls and notes. After 5 touches, if she didn't close the prospect, the lead would go on to another salesperson - who would do the same. In other words, if you agreed to meet with someone from that station once - you will be harassed indefinitely until you say "yes" to them!

Everything now is all about the metrics - education, sales, health care, etc. - it all has to be measurable and graphed on charts.

The "personal touch" has vanished.

Sad... (and I think counterproductive to providing good service too).

Respected Contributor

If I respond to a survey I am always honest. Once I had an appointment at the Bobbi Brown counter at Macy's where I alway buy my makeup. The woman who served me was someone I did not know and she was borderline rude and clearly had no time for an older woman as she basically rushed me off the chair even though I was making a purchase to serve a much 'hipper' young woman. When I got a survey in the mail regarding my experience I was simply honest. The manager of the department and my usual consultant contacted me immediately to apologize and asked me to come back where they gave me a 'goody bag' of product, mirrors, tee shirt and more. They won my loyalty for trying to make up for a bad experience. Very smart salespeople.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

Employees are not supposed to say they can lose their jobs or won't get bonuses if you don't give a positive restonse on those surveys. At some places that kind of request will result in them being fired. I've seen it happen. Begging is inappropriate and I would consider reporting the behavior. They know they are not supposed to do that.

I rarely do do those surveys. If they were very good or very bad I am more likely to. I am always honest. It doesn't help anyone to be dishonest.

Right.  It is totally unprofessional.  I have no issue with an employee telling me about the survey.  Begging because a bonus is at stake is a turn-off.  I would take the survey and let the company know the employee needs further training.

ETA: It isn't the employee's fault if she hasn't been told what she's doing isn't right.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@imagemd wrote:

My son sells cars for a living.  He is a very kind, considerate, not pushy young man.  He has had a few humdinger, bad attitude customers.  He never gets flustered and prays alot and believes the customer is always right.  No matter how rude or ugly these people get, he never breaks.  Eventually they will buy the car but being the bad attitude jerks they are, they let that attitude reflect in their survey which takes money out of my son's pocket.  I hate the surveys too.  Not fair becuase it does not portray what actually happened.  It is merely the POV of the customer.  PLEASE  do be honest on the survey buy these people do get "extra" $$ if the survey is good.  I might suggest to the person where it fell below excellent so they at least know.

Hospitals have given patients satisfaction surveys for decades. What comes back written on some of them is hysterical. Complaining because there were sirens from ambulances was common - of course they hate the food and that is all the nurses fault - I've had patients complain that they didn't like the doctor for whatever reason and were PO'ed that the nurse did not keep him away from her, or my all time favorite - the nurse let the doctor order for me to get out of bed even though I told her to not let him order that. Oh yeah, also did not like the taste of their pills - common complaint or were upset they got generics in the hospital - and it's all always the nurses fault. Where I worked they would highlight out the really ridiculous and only tell us to look at the ones that weren't highlighted. Thank goodness for reasonable nursing management.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had service reps at Chevrolet and Mercedes mention the survey on my way out. The say if I can't give them the highest scores in all categories, please call them before submitting the survey to give them a chance to make things right.  I never got the impression a bonus check was involved, but I have gotten the impression they would face some wrath if the results weren't positive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The MOMENT someone says this to me, I walk away from filling it out. I refuse to play that game.

Now, those that say "but if she hadn't said anything, you would have filled it out so what's the difference?"

The difference is:

*class

*tack
*couth

*good manners/lack there of

*very UNprofressionl on their part.