Trusted Contributor
i recently had my car in the shop and the young lady in the service department told me when I dropped it off and when I picked it up (after a week waiting for a part to arrive) how important it was that when I get my survey to answer all 17 questions as excellent otherwise she won't get her bonus. Now, she was nice but what if my experience wasn't all excellent....now I have to lie otherwise she doesn't get the extra money. This is not my first experience with this as I find it happening with other service related companies. First, I will probably now not fill it out because the companies want to win ratings awards and put pressure on the employees to push it on the customer. Second, the employees probably work very hard and feel pressure to cram surveys down the customers throat and employers can not give good reviews for the employee preventing them from a raise. I have had this happen to me with Comcast, sprint and Hyundai in the past few weeks. All 3 incidents were not excellent but my interaction with the employee was professional...however all 3 said the same thing...it must be all or nothing.

Does this business practice bother anyone else?
Honored Contributor

Re: Surveys & Employees/bonuses

I always give employees good reviews, just like I always tip.   Unless the server or employee was just a total disaster.  I try to put myself in their shoes.    If the employee/server did their best under the circumstances, it's not my place to be their supervisor & critique them.   So they always get a thumbs up from me.    And I hope the employer has to pay out the nose come bonus time!

Esteemed Contributor

It makes me very uncomfortable for the reasons you say, I had a Comcast employee he was just rude, then he said the spill please don't give me a bad review when they call I could lose my job. So, I now do this if they try to guilt me I do not respond to the survey if they don't I tell the truth in the survey. I have worked retail my whole life I have seen it all I would never say that to any customer, I have taken all my reviews with a grain of salt. I had one review where the person said I stunk so bad of cigarettes I don't and never did smoke, my employer knew that but because it was written I didn't get a bonus. So even if the employee did give good customer service the person writing the review could be in a bad mood, not remember ect. and still ruin it for the person. Do what makes you feel good and don't worry about it. We never know who wrote them unless it's real specific. 

Honored Contributor

I am always honest when filling out these surveys. If the employee wants an excellant review it is on them to give you an excellant experience - not on you to lie for them. What good does a survey do if the people filling it out are lying?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely, this bothers me!  Reminds me of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.

When I bought my car last year, the car salesman used this line on me.  My experience with them was not pleasant at all.  I did not respond to the survey, nor did I write a review, as I needed to use them for a future service, and I was concerned about repercussions since they had my personal information.  However, I use every opportunity to verbally relate my unpleasant experience.

I was offered a discount on future cleaning services, if I wrote a great review for a provider I found on Angie's List.  The service was just average, at best.  This provider had many excellent reviews on Angie's List - now I understand why.  I did not renew my AL membership, as this caused me to question all reviews, and to question how prevalent this practice is on AL.

I do write reviews on Yelp, and have found that to be a good source, as well as my neighborhood and local Facebook social media.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

Oh - can I relate. I bought a new car. Somehow, when the car was being prepared for me to drive it off the lot., someone put a scratch on the middle of the hood 12" long. I did not notice since I approached the car to drive away from the back. I pulled into my driveway and my neighbor came over to see my new car. She said "I thought you were going to buy a new car". I said I did, she then showed me the scratch that was down to bare metal.

I immediately drove the car back to the dealer. And said I wanted it fixed. The salesperson was upset I brought it back and told me to take it home and we could work something out. I did not want the dealer to say that I did the damage while it was off their lot - so I insisted that they fix it before I took it home. The salesperson was rude and I did not care what she thought. I wanted it fixed,

Well, after it was fixed - she wanted me to say what a great job she did and wanted an excellent rating. Was she nuts? She would not take my phone calls, I had to fight with her about getting the car fixed - and I was supposed to give her an excellent rating? Didn't happen.

Honored Contributor

If I'm asked to rate someone or something, then I tell the truth about my experience. If their report card allows for further commenting on other areas of the subject at hand, then I make sure to fill that part out as well. Otherwise I write it down some place where it will get noticed.

Respected Contributor

I always give perfect scores unless the person is really terrible.  Then I either don't take the survey or slam the person.  I'd rather tell them what's wrong and then not take the survey so they can correct it, but if they're really bad I don't care what happens to them.

Respected Contributor

I loathe this survey/review trend. The begging for the all 10's because they loose bonuses if it is less is awful. The pleasant experience with a very nice sales person is ruined when they add "My name is Bobo & here is where you tell the company what a great job I did". "So you don't really love my outfit of old grey tshirt & sweatpants? You just said that?".  I usually fill out the survey & then in the comments section I tell the company how I feel about the survey. And, on the other side, I had a job that I was really good at & when it came time for reviews my supervisor told me that she really wanted to give me all 10s but the company frowned on that because it didn't give employees anything to strive for. BS! I was all 10s! LOL

Honored Contributor

Do what you feel is right. They won't know what you wrote, and you won't need to feel you've lied. If you didn't have a bad experience, then by all means, praise them.