Respected Contributor

Re: Surprising Encounter at Fast Food Stop

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

Thiat could have gone very badly. I was in a store once and the guy that waited on me had contacts the looked like the eyes of a cat and I blurted out can you even see me? Those eyes are for the club. Luckily he took it well but I made a note to myself to be careful in the future. image.pnghttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1789/5477/products/yellowcat_grande.png?v=1540950607

Creepy!  I'm surprised that this is allowed in a store...unless it's an "alternative" shop that draws a different crowd.

It was some kind of home goods type place. He looked like a fool lol🤣 I am glad he didn’t get angry. 😳

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Are short nails mandatory for waitpersons?

No, but I skeeve when my waitperson has long nails (male OR female).  

Valued Contributor

Reading these comments makes me so glad I live in a big progressive city and I don’t encounter the pearl clutching and judging in this thread very often 

Esteemed Contributor

I was having blood drawn for pre surgery. They were having trouble taking it so called a nurse in who had just been in surgery. 

She had long artificial nails that do collect dirt and germs underneath.

She washed her hands and proceeded to draw blood without gloves. I asked her if she would put gloves on she said “ I don’t have any diseases do you?” She put gloves on and the nails kept popping out!  Finally after several pair she drew blood. 

The next day before surgery they were taking blood again I mentioned that nurse and the Drs all knew who it was. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@patbz wrote:

I made the suggestion about losing the nails because he was very young and indicated interest in improving his market ability.  I also tipped him (not common for where he was working).

You meant well but I would never engage a person at the drive through window (or at the counter inside) in a personal conversation. They are doing their job, probably in a fast paced environment. Also, I think offering/taking a a tip is a bad idea. The employee is receiving payment and giving change to customers. He/she would have to pocket the tip, put it in the cash register or set it aside . Any of those actions could get the employee in trouble, probably fired. You were just trying to be nice but anything other than order and pay could cause more harm than good. 

@Silver Lining, you make some good points.  I agree with them all.  

It's best to be pleasant, but not to linger.  He's there to do a job, and there are other customers and other things for him to do.  Making small talk might look to a manager as though he's the one not moving things along the way he should. 

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@patbz wrote:

I made the suggestion about losing the nails because he was very young and indicated interest in improving his market ability.  I also tipped him (not common for where he was working).

You meant well but I would never engage a person at the drive through window (or at the counter inside) in a personal conversation. They are doing their job, probably in a fast paced environment. Also, I think offering/taking a a tip is a bad idea. The employee is receiving payment and giving change to customers. He/she would have to pocket the tip, put it in the cash register or set it aside . Any of those actions could get the employee in trouble, probably fired. You were just trying to be nice but anything other than order and pay could cause more harm than good. 

@Silver Lining, you make some good points.  I agree with them all.  

It's best to be pleasant, but not to linger.  He's there to do a job, and there are other customers and other things for him to do.  Making small talk might look to a manager as though he's the one not moving things along the way he should. 

@NYC Susan. I agree not to linger. Around here if I started to having conversations with the window persons, the horns would be a honkin!

Esteemed Contributor

This happened after lunch rush and no one was behind me.  I was at the window for less than 2 minutes (his job was to take my money and hand me my order (he didn't make it).

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

This happened after lunch rush and no one was behind me.  I was at the window for less than 2 minutes (his job was to take my money and hand me my order (he didn't make it).

It doesn't matter if no one was behind you. There's always lots of things that fast food workers need to do.  I would briefly comment on the weather or something like that, but what some of us are saying is that we wouldn't want to hold him up in any way.  (Or give that kind of advice.)

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I wouldn't say anything, but I wouldn't return either.  

Returning or not returning really isn’t part of this thread’s conversation.

@sidsmom 

I'll make sure I take note when the many other posters go off exact subject, too.  Thanks for pointing that out.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I wouldn't say anything, but I wouldn't return either.  

You would not return to fast food place because the server had long polished fingernails? 

@Peaches McPhee 

Thinking of long nails working around food.  A cleanliness issue even though they are nicely polished on the top, what's going on the underside. 

Handling all that dirty money.  Cold and flu germs?  Possibly, scratching themselves.  Some restaurant workers do not wash their hands after going to the restroom.  All this collects under the nails. 

Yes, they are using their hands that could be dirty, I think about that, too.  They can wash their hands, but the germs are still under the nails.  

Yes, they are only handling bags, but we touch the bags. Who knows what is transferred.  I have heard a lot about restaurants and have seen a lot. 

Some might want to call me a germophobe...that's OK, rather that than get sick.  

Sorry, it's a turnoff for me.