Trusted Contributor

Re: Surprised by a request I received Sorry, long

@cookinfreak   No idea but wonder if money is some how involved; either he left you some money or they need money for the funeral?

Esteemed Contributor

It is a nice simple gesture.  She remembered you were a part of her father's life as well as hers.  If it is not a hardship, go.

Respected Contributor

I think it is so nice she asked you to come and I would go to show support for her in the loss of her dad. If you parted ways with him on good terms, then it would be appropriate in my opinion to attend. I think the daughter would appreciate it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Over my many decades of life, I have been to many, many wakes/funeral home visits, and funerals. How many of them were by invitation? Zero! Not a single invitation and I did/do not know anyone's family that sent out invitations to even good friends. A former SO? Makes little sense to me, and in another city, seems even more strange.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Do you WANT to go and pay your respects?

Can you afford the costs involved?

Will you feel badly later for not going?

Sleep on it .... but don't feel obligated to go ... you can always send flowers or a donation to the American Cancer Society in his name ... or something like that, and call it a day.

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak ...............He was a friend when you needed one and evidently a nice man.  You were specifically invited by his daughter.  Why would you not go?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems a little strange to me.  I think you have to do what you feel comfortable with.  How much did this man mean to you?  Doesn't sound like he was much more than a friend.

How far would you have to travel......what would be the expense to you, would it involve the expense of a hotel, gas, etc.  Would it be worth it to YOU?

I would have to base it on how much this man meant to me.  You say that the situation was pretty much forgotten, so I would take that into consideration.

For me, I would send a condolence card with a note and leave it at that.

Valued Contributor

Thanks all for your comments. I know I didnt mention that the visitation will be in my home town. He lived here also his entire life until he got sick and then moved to be with his kids. I'm glad he had someone there for him. I will attend his family visitation, but nothing more. Thanks again everyone!

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

I would not go
Honored Contributor

Don't feel obligated to go.