Honored Contributor

Re: Surprised by a request I received Sorry, long

@cookinfreak I had to laugh. If you had stated in your original post that the visitation is in YOUR HOME TOWN I think a lot of responses may have been different.

It's important to include ALL details in a post like yours, just for the future.

And after so many years, I personally would have no interest in going but you do what you think best.

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak   Thank you so much for circling back to let us know what your decision was.

It is considerate of you to do that.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

It obvious that you don't want to go otherwise you would not be asking people for their opinions you would just go. I personally would not go. You were not married to the guy nor did you have children with him. I would tell the daughter that you are sorry but you are unable to go.
Honored Contributor

GO.   I would feel honored I was remembered at this painful time in their lives.

Valued Contributor

I encourage you to go, for yourself and for the family. I was married for a long time to a guy who told his family to stop speaking to me once we divorced. This was people I have photos of going back 30 years and had friendships with. So during covid, an elder died in my city, and my adult child asked would I go with them because we were the only ones who could attend. I almost told my adult child no but I thought this is the time I do something nice for that family and not let it be weird although I was nervous and it felt weird. The friendly ones appreciated that we came. Some refused eye contact and seemed nervous I was there (that is on them). I am glad I went and the elder's wife was very grateful I came to give condolences. That is all that matters.