Esteemed Contributor

Re: Surgeon General-"We are exactly where Italy was 2 weeks ago"

It seems like this is some kind of movie or bad dream. Every day we get worse news. Yet some don't believe it or won't. I'd like to put my head in the sand too, but I feel like our lives depend on not doing that.

Honored Contributor

And it is totally natural to post and read about something none of us have ever experienced before at this level and want to talk about it.

So those who don't wish to post and read about them don't have to just as all of us have posts we don't want to read, and don't.

That is the great thing about these boards that are read and posted by people all over the country. We all have things that interest us and that we care about and none of us have to read those we don't like to.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

We, in America are not in any way living life as they do in Italy.  There, young people are expected to live at home with their parents and grandparents until they get married. Even after marriage, you live with parents with your children.

Yes, those stories about " mama boys" are true.  Their households are multigenerational.

In America, our children tend to move out when they graduate from college and have a real job.  We also tend to not live with our parents or grandparents unless they are elderly and need help...and even then most of us do not move in with each other.

This separation of the generations is safer when we have a medical emergency.  It keeps the young people who are out and about away from the elderly and sick.

Of course, there are exceptions in both countries, as always.

i don't think it is smart to compare Italy with America.  Yes, COVID 19 can and will spread here, but our living arrangements make it much safer for most of us. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie Also - Italians are much more social than Americans as far as the kissing, hugging, and touching. I think that is why it spead so fast there.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Today was the first day of school cancellation in South Carolina.  The teachers in my district had to go to school as a work day.  On my way home, I saw several large groups of kids shoulder to shoulder or playing close contact sports in the yards.  I kept driving, but part of me wanted to ask if anybody explained to them why school was cancelled.  They were closer together than they would have been sitting in desks in the classroom.  Some parents checked in today to let me know that their children will be going on vacation, so I shouldn't expect them to complete the weekly e-learning assignments I posted.  I just said thanks for letting me know, but again, I wanted to ask if they understood why school was cancelled. 🙁

Respected Contributor

I didn't hear Adams say this part

....and he said we are in even worse shape with less supplies and hospitals.

..Adams did say that having Italy’s infection total could be avoided if people heed government officials' advice to socially distance themselves and follow “basic public health measures."

“We have a choice to make as a nation: Do we want to go the direction of South Korea and really be aggressive and lower our mortality rates, or do we want to go the direction of Italy?”

“There’s every hope that we can be South Korea if people actually listened, if people actually were socially distanced, if people do the basic public health measures that we have been talking about all along, such as washing your hands, such as covering your cough and cleaning surfaces," he said, forecasting six to eight weeks of precautionary measures being taken.

Full Video online 10:38 min

Respected Contributor

I also didn't hear him say we are in worse shape then Italy....that part is incorrect.  He did say the other day that 98% of people who get it will fully recover from it.  I like to focus on the positive parts of what they say also.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy 

Who or what is/are Harry/Meghan?

----------------------------------------------------

@tansy wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

With all due respect, I don't think it's at all helpful to keep this up. Anyone who doubts the situation isn't going to become educated based on the constant and continual harangue and barrage on this shopping site's community boards... Honesty, when will enough be enough?

I feel that way about the Harry/Meghan situation.  At least this story affects all of us.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Why not just let people post what they want, unless the mods object. I stopped reading the Corona posts unless it's something new to me. We don't need board police, no matter how well intentioned.

If only I could heart this post a 100 times . . .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think some are just rude,  you post ,and there are those that jump on you,i have had this twice, just now on my new thread.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.