Esteemed Contributor

Several days ago DH and I made a 13 hr roundtrip to CA via HWYs 40 and 15.  We had our grandsons with us and they love to count trains.  We counted over 25 cargo trains and going through Barstow ( major switching station) we counted over an additional 10 trains.  I have never seen this many trains on previous trips and these included many many FedEx containers and a lot of tankers.  Most of these were very long trains with an average of four engines ( although we did see a train of nothing but 10 engines).  I think this increase in trains has something to do with supply/ demand problems.

Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I went to Wal-Mart and wanted to grab a bag of candy for my candy dish at work.  The candy aisle was at least 3/4 empty.  I went back last week and it was even worse.  I thought maybe the candy manufacturers had slowed down or halted production of regular candy to concentrate on Halloween candy but just don't know.  I don't have much trouble finding it at other box stores.  It's probably just that particular Wal-Mart because, IMHO, they have poor management of that entire store.

@shoptilyadropagain    It's possible your store is short on employees to stock.  Our local superstore has been crying for and advertising everywhere for workers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@patbz   It might have to do with a shortage of trucks and truckers.  Shipping by train instead of motor freight. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Several days ago DH and I made a 13 hr roundtrip to CA via HWYs 40 and 15.  We had our grandsons with us and they love to count trains.  We counted over 25 cargo trains and going through Barstow ( major switching station) we counted over an additional 10 trains.  I have never seen this many trains on previous trips and these included many many FedEx containers and a lot of tankers.  Most of these were very long trains with an average of four engines ( although we did see a train of nothing but 10 engines).  I think this increase in trains has something to do with supply/ demand problems.

I so agree! I have a good friend that is a train engineer and she told me they are extremely busy and she is working brutal shifts.  She is counting the days until retirement but now she is making good coin!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I went to Wal-Mart and wanted to grab a bag of candy for my candy dish at work.  The candy aisle was at least 3/4 empty.  I went back last week and it was even worse.  I thought maybe the candy manufacturers had slowed down or halted production of regular candy to concentrate on Halloween candy but just don't know.  I don't have much trouble finding it at other box stores.  It's probably just that particular Wal-Mart because, IMHO, they have poor management of that entire store.

@shoptilyadropagain    It's possible your store is short on employees to stock.  Our local superstore has been crying for and advertising everywhere for workers. 

I think you have that right. The Walmart closest to my house has numerous signs about hiring. The starting wage is $17.50.

Honored Contributor

Re: Supply chain issues?

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling wrote:

For all of you that hate grocery shopping or "just don't have the time" it's actually rather beneficial to find the time.

On line you will see a lot of stock outs but that doesn't mean that everything in that store with a different brand is out.  Not every single item that's in a grocery store isonlinee thus you can make choices if you do your own shopping.

For me, it's not a matter of time, though I do hate grocery shopping, it's a matter of both limited physical ability to haul numerous bags of groceriess around and, once again, of not feeling safe to venture into the stores. I was doing my own shopping for the very brief six week window when the risk factor seemed manageable. Now that we're, yet again, in virtual lock down, I did have groceries delivered again this past week and frankly these supply chain issues are growing both worrisome and wearying. I guess that national reboot that was supposed to ensue early in the year failed to materialize.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

No shortages here (yet.)  Everything is Bountiful and in Abundance.  Could be a good time to stock up.

And while there are surely some legitimate supply chain issues, it seems that it is becoming an all-purpose excuse for some poor management. 

Agree, just as the pandemic, dreadful as it has been and continues to be, has, at times, been an ongoing excuse for rotten customer service.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Threads like this START a panic even if not intended to. Just because YOUR store was low or out of a few things does not refect the country.  Some people love to start a conspiracy  that the sky is falling. 

@SeaMaiden  no they don't.  The OP put a question mark in her title. If you read the thread, clearly she is asking if anyone else is having these issues.

If anyone pays any attention to the news, they have been talking about delivery issues due to a shortage of truck drivers, no employees to stock shelves, etc.  It's a nationwide issue.    

And nationwide, nobody seems to be doing anything about it...

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
The wet cat food my kitties eat is out of 2 of the 3 flavors they eat. Even Chewy is out of stock...so I don't think that is just a regional issue. Managed to find it at a certain grocery store chain locally. Bought the few cans each store had I went to. All other grocery stores are sold out & Target too.

Some grocery items have been hit or miss lately too--I did not notice that a month ago.

I live smack dab in suburbia with hundreds of shopping choices locally if not more.

@sometimesQVCaddict  I was told by Chewy that certain brands will be intermittently in short supply because the brands had geared up production in other areas. Who knows, but it's a problem and it's ridiculous. 

Respected Contributor

No real shortages in the store right now that I can see.  But one learn's from the past and I picked up a few things that are shelf stable I will want for the holidays that are not always sure things anyways.  Maple flavouring is one thing.  The great Sugar-free cook and serve Chocolate Pudding hunt has begun too.