Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Because the pharmacist talked to them and told them that I would pay for the prescription.  She did this while I waited.

I must be missing something.  There is no need for the pharmacist to call the insurance company if you have indicated that you will be paying out of pocket.

I've done private pay before with no hassle.  

Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes It's all about the bottom line.  The insurance companies have (right up there with the gun lobbyists) one of the largest and most influential lobbyists on Capital Hill (I live in the DC area).

These companies have investors.  I've heard that it isn't this one's fault or that one's fault.  Well, as I see it, this is the way things are these days......I guess it's just not anyone's fault....Humph!  That's just not true.

Out of all of this the one thing I don't like is the fact that I can't change insurance companies!  That doesn't make sense to me.  I should be able to change when I want to and go where I want to.  

This sure throws out their competition, at least for a year, doesn't it?  I've contacted my state Congressmen and I've heard, "Unfortunately, that's just the way things are".  I'm not talking about changing my stuff, I'm talking about the laws down the line eventually.  I know if anything ever changes in government, it takes many years.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Because the pharmacist talked to them and told them that I would pay for the prescription.  She did this while I waited.

I must be missing something.  There is no need for the pharmacist to call the insurance company if you have indicated that you will be paying out of pocket.

I've done private pay before with no hassle.  

I absolutely agree Tansy. There would be no reason for the pharmacist to call the ins. co. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When a insurance company refuses to pay for a certain drug usually they will send your doctor a form that he can fill out WHY you have to have that specific drug and then they will review that information and almost always will allow the patient the drug.

She apparently went through that process, @151949.  My doc has filled out the paperwork for me successfully, too.  Normally, you need to show that you've tried other drugs first, without success,  before the newer drug is approved.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When a insurance company refuses to pay for a certain drug usually they will send your doctor a form that he can fill out WHY you have to have that specific drug and then they will review that information and almost always will allow the patient the drug.

She apparently went through that process, @151949.  My doc has filled out the paperwork for me successfully, too.  Normally, you need to show that you've tried other drugs first, without success,  before the newer drug is approved.

The thing is that if you , in fact, HAVE TO have that certain drug and they refuse it they are left open to litagation.Now I'm not speaking about things like someone just doesn't want to take the generic- that is not a have to situation that is a preference situation. But when the drug being refused is the only drug that you can take - they would be hard put to make a jury understand why you can't have it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Supplemental insuranceb

[ Edited ]

We have AARP United Healthcare Plan F supplemental insurance and haven't had any problems.  When we signed up it was with the understanding that there would be an increase every year for so many years.  When we researched this at the time, I think most insurance companies did the same. 

Valued Contributor

Wow thanks for the information. I guess I didn't explain well enough. I have United Healthcare through AARP. I have my pres. Drug coverage through Humana. This insurance is so complicated. I guess I should stay where I am. I live in eastern TN.

thanks for the input. Started out a year and a half ago at $105 and as of this month 121.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Supplemental insuranceb

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Please contact your Part D insurance company and ask about filing an appeal.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Yes!  He has 'served' me for years.  He's always done an excellent job.  

Anyway, I just wanted to put it out there that although this agency supposedly is so great, for me it wasn't.

Getting old(er) stinks!  (I'll put that out there too Tink)....Hope you are having a good day!  

@Annabellethecat66

I'd be sending this long time agent the bill for my out of pocket medicine.  Why did he want you to change carriers?

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 He kept telling me they would be better based on my medications.  Swear to you.  He puts them into the computer and goes through the different companies and supposedly, this one was the best.

I kept saying, "I don't like change.  I really don't want to change".  He called me a few times and finally, right near the end, I said, OK".  Makes me sick.  It's more about not getting the medication my Drs keep saying I should get.