Honored Contributor

OP - what company is your insurance with? AARP is not an insurance company - they just loan the use of their name to products they have looked into and they endorse. For instance their dental insurance is through Delta Dental and I have a medicare advantage plan through United Health Care. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I had AARP supplemental and had no problem with them with both medical and prescriptions.

However, this year my insurance agent talked me into changing them for a company called Magellan.  DO NOT GO WITH MAGELLAN!!  They are terrible!  Now I'm locked in with them (prescriptions) and so far they have refused to give me (refused) 3 prescriptions I've taken for years.  

At first they gave my Drs paperwork that had to be filled out justifying the prescriptions (which my Drs did), then they said they would review it.  Then they get back to me and say they no longer cover those medicines!  I said, "OK, I'll pay the full price of the medicine".  They said, "No you can't even do that".

Long story - short.  I had to stop just like that 3 medicines I've taken for years that my Dr says I should take.  I'm 70 years old.

Do not get Magellan for prescriptions.  My insurance agent doesn't even represent them but he said he felt like with my medicines they would cover them and be the best bet.  He said AARP was making major changes this year and with my medicines it would not benefit me to stay with them.  Well, I sure got screwed!

So, being the pain in the ......I am I text my insurance agent every time they deny one of my medicines.  He keeps apologizing and saying, "They are rated very high".  Don't fall for that.

Oh!  Many of the one's the do fill I have to pay $100 co-pay and they do not fill a 3 month supply of anything.  Can you imagine the amount of money just for this year I've paid out?  It's crazy!

Phew!  I need to take a rest, I get so worked up just thinking about these insurance people.

Unfortunately, I'm locked into them for at least another 8 months!  That's another terrible thing about insurance, I'm locked into them for 8 months!

@Annabellethecat66

Oh kwap, what a hassle!!   Not only do you need a new insurance plan, you need a new agent!!!

Honored Contributor

I did not know that supplements raise their premium every year - I have been on medicare for 6 years now but since we have an advantage plan our premium has not changed this whole time, it started out at and remains just the $104 that medicare takes from our SS check, and nothing more. As a matter of fact , our copays went down this year. For a tier 1 drug 30 day supply our copay went from $6 to $2, and a visit to our PCP went from $10 to no copay.

Valued Contributor

Re: Supplemental insuranceb

[ Edited ]

@151949   I believe the OP is not to talking about her medigap policy premium, but the % of the discount on her monthly payments, given for the first 3 years a person  is covered w/that company.

the first year, its usually 15% discount, then reduces to 10%, the second year on your birth month , & the third year on your birth month, it reducesI to 5%.

the fourth year you pay the full monthly amount of your policy.  No discounts.

hope this helps.

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

How would your insurance company even know that you elected to pay for those three prescriptions, @Annabellethecat66?

i would ask the doc to write the scripts for you and take them to a pharmacy.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Yes!  He has 'served' me for years.  He's always done an excellent job.  

Anyway, I just wanted to put it out there that although this agency supposedly is so great, for me it wasn't.

Getting old(er) stinks!  (I'll put that out there too Tink)....Hope you are having a good day!  

Esteemed Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

Check your most recent Medicare booklet for 2016 to see what other options are available in your area.  Asking here won't help much unless there's someone who lives in your state & has the same, or similar, health insurance needs.

This is a link to Medicare.Gov and Medigap insurance. You can find plans with a Zip code https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/index.html

Valued Contributor

Yikes, @Annabellethecat66,  this is shocking to be denied coverage for your medications even if you wish to pay for them yourself.

it drives me nuts that it's probably an insurance computer program telling us what medications we are to take, not our Doctor.  (Shaking head here)

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

Because the pharmacist talked to them and told them that I would pay for the prescription.  She did this while I waited.

Honored Contributor

When a insurance company refuses to pay for a certain drug usually they will send your doctor a form that he can fill out WHY you have to have that specific drug and then they will review that information and almost always will allow the patient the drug.