Honored Contributor

Re: Superstition: Shoes on the Table

Silkyk: This brought back memories!  Only it was never put your "pocketbook" on the floor or you'll run out of money.  I've never used the term pocketbook, but my mother still does.  I wonder what was the year that changed?

Another one -- a man should never buy his girlfriend or wife a pair of shoes.  She will walk out on him soon after!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have heard of this superstition.  (And I always mess it up with the bed one.)

Respected Contributor

Anyone put their shoes under the bed on December6 to get some candy from St. Nickolaus

Honored Contributor

Daddy was the most superstitious person I have ever known. He knew all of them. Shoes on the table was one. But if you think about it that isn't very hygenic.

Here are a few of Daddys:

Salt over the shoulder

Not rocking an empty chair

Not stepping over a child on the floor (stunt their growth)

The New Years Day one-the first dark haired man had to bring in coal and a piece of silver

Always eat pork on New Years Day

Always eat an egg on Easter

I could go on and on.

How could I forget-burn a bayberry candle to the socket on Christmas Eve.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

Oh yea, we observed this one too.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

My maternal grandmother was very superstitious.  After growing up listening to her warnings over and over, I was determined to forget all of them as an adult.  The only one I do remember well was the bad luck one.  My grandmother had very long, thick hair, which she braided tightly and wrapped around her head.  Once a week she took her hair down, brushed it, washed it, air dried it, braided and wrapped it back up again----I rarely saw my grandmother with her hair down.  As soon as she was done, she removed all the loose hair from her comb and brush, balled it up, took it outside and used a small shovel to dig a hole and bury it----to ward off bad luck.  Her mother and aunts had done this as well, so to her, it was just the thing to do.  Once the grandchildren were old enough, we were given the job of burying Mamaw's hair to prevent her from having bad luck!   This finally stopped in the early 70's, when medication caused Mamaw's hair to break off severely enough that she had to cut her hair very short.  Mamaw was a devout Methodist and taught Sunday School for many years, but even with her very strong faith in God, she did believe in superstitions.  

Trusted Contributor

My 89-year-old father believes this.  Shoes cannot be placed on a table, countertop, etc.

Bad luck.  I find that I don't put them anywhere near such a surface.

Esteemed Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

Daddy was the most superstitious person I have ever known. He knew all of them. Shoes on the table was one. But if you think about it that isn't very hygenic.

Here are a few of Daddys:

Salt over the shoulder

Not stepping over a child on the floor (stunt their growth)

The New Years Day one-the first dark haired man had to bring in coal and a piece of silver

Always eat pork on New Years Day

Always eat an egg on Easter

I could go on and on.

How could I forget-burn a bayberry candle to the socket on Christmas Eve.

Yes, my mother and her family had all of those also!

Regular Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Or was it "no hats on the bed"?  My mother had so many superstitions it was hard to keep up!

I remember that one. I always imagined someone accidently sitting on the hat that made it significant. Like salt over the shoulder, etc.

Trusted Contributor

My mom is german and shoes on the table meant there would be a fight.