Respected Contributor

Re: Superstition: Shoes on the Table

And don't put your purse on the floor or you will run out of money. Also never give a friend a knife for a present or you will cut the friendship....if you do give a knife have the person give you a coin to ward off the "cut". My Mom was Italian so LOTS of these words of wisdom. I remember them all.

Respected Contributor

@MsLomo wrote:

Yes, superstitions my father told us about ... his parents had told him (because their parents had told them!): No shoes on the table and no hat on the bed.

Same at our house while growing up. Also do not walk under a ladder amd cannot break a mirror. 

Honored Contributor

If you give a wallet as a gift, include a dollar bill or some currency in it.

I also do it when I give handbags - I don't know if there is a mojo for handbags, so I'm hedging my bets on that one :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

I asked this question because my daughter had given me a pair of new shoes to sell on eBay for her ... they did not sell ... she was here yesterday with my young grandson and I asked him to carry the shoes downstairs so that they could go home with her ...

They were in their box sitting at the bottom of the stairs and when they were leaving, I told him to get them ... he brought them into the dining room and set them on the table ... I immediately told him to take them off the table and we would forget that he even put them there ...

Which led me to post my question ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

If you give a wallet as a gift, include a dollar bill or some currency in it.

I also do it when I give handbags - I don't know if there is a mojo for handbags, so I'm hedging my bets on that one :-)

Are we from the same family!!??? Babushka!!!

Esteemed Contributor

My mother taught me:"feet belong on the floor" and " tables are not a foot rest". It had everything to do with keeping her furniture nice/manners, and nothing was said about any superstition.

Lots of superstitions, but never heard anyone say that one.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

My mother had so many but no new shoes on the table, throw loose change under the mat of a new car, a dollar in a new pocketbook, pink sky in the morn..., silverware falling the floor means company coming, etc

Honored Contributor

@humpty dumpty wrote:

he brought them into the dining room and set them on the table ... I immediately told him to take them off the table

Exactly!  I live alone and even I won't put a box with new shoes on the table (lol). 

There's a whole other superstition of someone buying you shoes, particularly a man.

It goes something like - if you allow a man to buy your shoes, he'll dictate how you walk through life or will dictate your path in life.

Now, I don't know if that's for dating or if it applies to husbands. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Or was it "no hats on the bed"?  My mother had so many superstitions it was hard to keep up!

My Irish mother had the hat on the bed superstition too.  We would never ever put shoes on a table in her immaculate home superstition or not!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I never heard of this till I was married...my in-laws said no NEW shoes on the table as they won't fit...even though you tried them on before you brought them home...the shoes would be a continual problem.....