Super Contributor

Superstition: Shoes on the Table

Is there a superstition that it is bad luck to put shoes on the table?

I grew up with this superstition and I cannot find anyone that has ever heard of it ... I told my brother that I can remember my father telling me it was bad luck ... but he says my father meant not to put your feet up on the coffee table ... not that it was bad luck, but he didn't want the kids sitting on the couch with their shoes resting on the coffee table ...

Can someone clear this up for me please?

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Superstition: Shoes on the Table

Ours was "no shoes on the bed".  My mother would go nuts if we put our shoes on the bed, means someone will die or something.

Trusted Contributor

According to Wikipedia:

"Shoes on a table

An uncommon superstition is that bad luck will come to a person who places shoes on a table, whether in the form of a family argument, or risking death to a family member. It is believed that the superstition originates from new shoes originally having the soles affixed by hobnails, and that these would cause scratches on a new table if they had not already been worn down.

Another belief common in the North of England is that the tradition relates to the coal mining industry. When a miner died in a colliery accident, his shoes were placed on the table as a sign of respect. By extension, doing so was seen as tempting fate or simply as bad taste.[1]

In the world of theatre, putting shoes on a dressing room table is considered by some to bring the risk of a bad performance, just as "Break a leg!" is considered good luck.[2]

Also described as an old wives' tale, the superstition may date back to medieval times.[3] Some sources ascribe the origin to the fact that criminals were hanged while still wearing their shoes.[4]

It may have something to do with death, and the idea of placing a new pair of shoes on the table would signify that someone had just died, or you would have bad luck for the rest of the day, quarrel with someone or lose your job.[5]

Even among people who are not superstitious, shoes can be associated with contamination.[6]"

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Super Contributor

My mom was not superstitious but putting shoes on the table was a no-no because of all the germs.

Esteemed Contributor

Or was it "no hats on the bed"?  My mother had so many superstitions it was hard to keep up!

Honored Contributor

I have no idea about a superstition, but I would never put shoes on a table, coffee table, ottoman, or a bed in my home.  We take our shoes off in the mudroom. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, superstitions my father told us about ... his parents had told him (because their parents had told them!): No shoes on the table and no hat on the bed.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe in superstitions, but I think no shoes on the table is just good sense. Shoes belong on the floor and nowhere else. They are filthy and don't belong on things you'll touch.

Honored Contributor

Shoes on the table means a fight.

Also, unless you are eating and it's required for dinner, no large knife on the table either.

Where's my babooshka?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not heard that one.  The only thing I ever heard about tables was not to sit on them because, as my grandfather used to say, tables are made for glasses not for axxxx.... (remove the gl)