Honored Contributor

Supermarket Situation (NYC)

[ Edited ]

Because of weather forecast ... I thought I'd get out early this morning to get some groceries.  Got to the store just around 9am. There were only a couple of us shopping. 

(Our local market is a D'Agostino's ... they have a really nice bunch of people working there.)  

What I saw (or didn't see)

• No ...   I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"  - so I had to buy "butter."  I go through a lot of butter and its substitutes.   Dairy section looked rather empty - but it's early in the day.

• The Deli display / counter was just being stocked.  

• Plenty of meat .... but no roasted chickens, but that's to be expected this early in the day.  

• Workers were replenishing/straightening up produce area.  One of them kindly moved the banana display so I could reach the ginger.  (I saw a recipe for a Korean dish that sounds delish that calls for ginger.)

• Breads, rolls, cakes  etc. were freshly stocked.   Entenmann's shelves were full and I took advantage of that!

• Paper towels, toilet paper, etc., shelves were stocked.

• CoffeeMate ... many flavors sold out.  CoffeeMate is really popular here.  I try to keep a spare in the fridge just in case.  I'm about to open that spare today and wanted a backup.

That's it.

I'm spending the rest of the day altering some clothes.  I lost a couple of pounds over the winter and all my pants look like "droopy drawers."

Honored Contributor

Re: Supermarket Situation (NYC)

@ALRATIBA    Living in NYC as you do, do you have to carry groceries home in your arms?  I can't even imagine not loading up the car and driving home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Quite a few of us have cars here, or we use carts &/or backpacks.

Pre-virus, there wa plenty of public or private transportation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

No ... we have folding grocery carts. 

Mine is rather jazzy - I've crocheted a really colorful liner and wrapped the handle in leopard print "duck tape." 

I made the liner back in 2012 - and I can't count the number of times I've been stopped on the street and asked about the liner.  

Folding Shopping Cart, Black, Four Wheeled

So convenient.  Wheel the cart to the store, get our groceries, wheel it home again right into the kitchen.  

No need to handle heavy bags of groceries.  

Supermarket is only an east/west block away.  Takes me about five minutes to get there.

A friend of mine lives in a condo in FL - he keeps his cart in the parking garage and "transports" his groceries from car to condo via shopping cart.

-----------------

I once lived in suburbia and have vivid memories of lugging bags of groceries from the car to the kitchen.  This is better.

Esteemed Contributor

I find it interesting that some of you are not having any issues finding meat, and others, it seems like have been struggling to find any meat for a while now. 

I'm just hoping that everyone can get what they want and need soon. 

The last time I went in a store, there was more meat than there were dried beans. 

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA   @Magny   Thanks.  Whole different lifestyle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I find it interesting that some of you are not having any issues finding meat, and others, it seems like have been struggling to find any meat for a while now. 

I'm just hoping that everyone can get what they want and need soon. 

The last time I went in a store, there was more meat than there were dried beans. 

We are very fortunate in that DH works for a local farmer who supplies us with beef. Have never had to buy in the store.

Honored Contributor

I went food shopping this morning ( Valley Stream, NY). I was at the deli counter talking to one of the workers, we were talking about the lack of paper goods. She tells me they had Charmin toilet paper yesterday ( none today). I haven't seen toilet paper in two months at least, why does she tell me this, it only annoys me! There were no bananas today, I ask the produce manager ( I see him every week) if they have bananas, he tells me he is expecting a delivery this afternoon, I'm not going back so this doesn't help me at all.

Regular Contributor

Because of health issues I can't go into the stores but drive there & do a pick up service. It's always a ****** shoot as to whether I get the items I ordered. Kind of frustrating but it's better than risking my life, ha,ha. Plus I don't have to load the car - always have to look on the bright side. I so wish I could pick out my own produce though. From what other family members have told me, it depends on when & where you go as to what is available. Stores have started limiting items which is good. Take what you NEED but leave some for others. We are all in this together so let's help each other out!!

Regular Contributor

Maybe I should have said dicey since they didn't like my other choice of words -ha ha.