Respected Contributor

Re: Supermarket Situation (NYC)

I have a couple of friends in NJ and they seem to be finding what they need to find.  What is not found at the local supermarket can be found at Costco.  That's one thing I do miss about NJ - the abundance of being able to shop for anything and everything you could ever want or need.

Only problem is people are fearful of others and don't want to leave the house unless they have to.  I can't say as I blame them.

I now live in coastal NC and I have not seen a spare square of toilet paper in going on 3 months now.  NOWHERE!!!  Other paper goods are just as sparse.  I'm in a rural area, no big box stores here cept for 1 WalMart and they have nothing in stock currently.  I also have heard it is like a zoo going there and people acting crazy - no masks, no distancing, grabbing this n that - so I've stayed away.

This is getting tiresome.  We have not been hit too hard here with COVID.  We do get more sunshine here and the temps are warmer, soon to be really hot and humid.  Some restrictions are lessening ever so slightly but most are still fearful. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I'm seeing improvements. No longer 5 day delays for online order pick ups. We have a lot of 'limit 2' items and I found peroxide for the first time yesterday. I even bought 3 bottles -- for 3 different families -- and wasn't threatened in the parking lot, either. Hope things will gradually improve. I'm keeping wipes and mask close by for quite some time.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Went to Costco on Tuesday.  They had Kirkland Bathroom Tissue and plenty of meat.  Limit of 1 on the tissue and I do not remember what is was for meat.  

Made my Walmart run this morning.  They had very limited packs of bathroom tissue but did have both Clorox bleach and Great Value bleach.  Also Clorox wipes and Great Value disinfecting wipes.  Pretty good selection of meat and chicken too.  Barely any Campbell's soup.  Lots of eggs but the margarine/butter case was almost bare.  They did have my Smart Balance though.  Have had trouble finding it.  

Lots of rice and beans.  

I was able to get what I needed.  I am in Central Illinois.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I live in north NJ (NYC Metro area).  Went to ShopRite at 7 am and found most of what I wanted.  Toilet paper and paper towels were well stocked.  Good assortment of meat and chicken.  

No hand sanitizer or wipes. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I went food shopping this morning ( Valley Stream, NY). I was at the deli counter talking to one of the workers, we were talking about the lack of paper goods. She tells me they had Charmin toilet paper yesterday ( none today). I haven't seen toilet paper in two months at least, why does she tell me this, it only annoys me! There were no bananas today, I ask the produce manager ( I see him every week) if they have bananas, he tells me he is expecting a delivery this afternoon, I'm not going back so this doesn't help me at all.

------   
If you were talking about the lack of paper products, why wouldn't she tell you they had Charmin? Certainly not her fault, it's sold out, and she probably wanted you to know it has been coming in.  

The same with the bananas, I'm sure the manager was trying to be helpful. I imagine, depending, on the want/need, some shoppers would go back.  

Esteemed Contributor

I’m in NJ. We have a shortage of paper supplies, meat is in fair supply do far but it depends what you’re preferences are. I prefer Tyson or Purdue but there are some Amish brands which are acceptable. Last week I got Clorox wipes and they was a find. It depends on where you live in NJ & what time you go to the store and which store.
Honored Contributor

Just got back from Ingles and someone wiped out my lettuce!  They've had plenty every week and now, poofy gone.  🤨. I am living on that people!  I have left your pizzas alone.  Leave my iceberg and step away slowly...

Still bare shelves with most paper products but we do have small offerings from Charmin and Scott paper towels so not a total loss.

Plenty of meat but we are rationed here on it.  

The biggest mystery to me is the frozen potatoes.  The entire freezer case that runs about 20 feet down the aisle is empty.  Luckily no one wants my small bag of frozen sweet potatoes which are actually hiding with the veggies but I thought that was beyond strange.  Have to go fresh and cut and fry them yourself.  

Honored Contributor

I had two grocery deliveries this morning (Costco and Met Market).  Got everything (including meat) except for a can of condensed milk.  

I have been getting Charmin toilet paper, Bounty paper towels and Clorox wipes delivered by UPS from Costco but a friend of mine says they have put that on hold until June.  

It has been easier lately to get grocery delivery times.