Esteemed Contributor

So many views on here is why I always self check out.  I watch every item I scan and have control over my items.  I enjoy that.  I also use cloth bags, a cold tote and bag my own stuff.

Respected Contributor

I notice that when I bag my own groceries, the checker accepts all my coupons. 

Respected Contributor

If there's no stick, just wait till there's a good-sized gap on the belt ahead of you, then start loading with something distinctive like a row of canned goods and create a boundary. End with something big or easily recognized, like a loaf of bread, laid across the belt like a closing marker. Keep an eye on the action in front to make sure your stuff doesn't get into the prior customer's, and as yours is being checked through, tell the clerk "the bread is my last item."

If you need your bread bagged separately, ask the clerk to do that as he or she gets to it. Same with meat/ fowl/ fish. Same with toiletries. I ask that bleach and/or ammonia be bagged separately even though they should be sealed. I ask that potatoes and apples and other pre-bagged goods also be bagged because it's easier to load and unload them and helps protect them a bit. Clerks don't read minds and sometimes they're having a bad day, too.

If it's so important to have dividers on the belt, make your own and bring them with you. A wooden poster stave would produce at least two. Just leave the pointy-ended piece at home, please. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

So many views on here is why I always self check out.  I watch every item I scan and have control over my items.  I enjoy that.  I also use cloth bags, a cold tote and bag my own stuff.

I do the same, but once in awhile there is some nudnick who has to get up close to my check out area and seemingly try to "hurry me along".  Or maybe try to see my card info.

Respected Contributor

In my neck of the woods, it is very common for the person putting groceries or items on the belt to put the divider up at the end of their order when checking out so that the next person can start when they are finished.  So it isn't generally a problem where I shop. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

I leave a lot of space between my stuff and the person in front of me's stuff.  Don't want any of my things falling over the divider.  I try to put a divider at the end of my groceries as soon as I can and I also thank the person in front of me when they put the divider down behind their things so I can start putting mine on the belt.

Respected Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

I notice that when I bag my own groceries, the checker accepts all my coupons. 

LOL That too!!

Honored Contributor

Another pet peeve is when I am waiting in line for a long time, a checker opens a new lane. Instead of taking the people who have been waiting , they take a shopper who just gets there.

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

Things normally don't bother me. but it seems like common sense for me to bag my groceries while the cashier is ringing my order. I can't stand just standing there doing nothing, it's wasting time. 

I'm the opposite; somebone other than me better bag my d@$n groceries.

I have issues with my back, so I can't - and I don't - bag my own groceries.  If anyone judges me for that, I feel it's their problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

Things normally don't bother me. but it seems like common sense for me to bag my groceries while the cashier is ringing my order. I can't stand just standing there doing nothing, it's wasting time. 

The only baggers at my favorite store are special needs adults.  I can do 4 bags in the time it takes most of them to do 1.  I always say to the bagger, "why don't we work together?"

Wegmans doesn't have baggers.  The checker bags as he/she rings.

I like that:  "Why don't we work together?"  Very diplomatic and very sweet.  :-)