Honored Contributor

“Super”, “grab” and “snag”

Just a little no real meaning thread here. And it has nothing to do with these boards.

On Facebook, I am on a few pages and I’ve noticed, especially on one of them comprised of only women, most of them younger than me, that people don’t seem to use the words “very”, “buy” or “get” anymore. When did that start?

Everything is “super”. Super cute, super expensive, super early, super good, etc.  What happened to “very”????  These women never use the word very or any other word like that. 

Also, what happened to “buy/bought” and “get/got”?  The new “in” words are grab and snag. I’m going to grab one of those the next time I’m at the store.  I’ll grab one from you when I see you tomorrow.   I snagged a pair of shoes on sale. They’re super cute.  I snagged two of those when I saw them in the store. 

Maybe it’s just regional in my area (Atlanta), but I hear grab, snag and super all the time now.  It’s  like the other words have been banned, LOL. 

Of course, I’m probably just out of the loop. I felt the same about the overuse of “as well” instead of “also” and “too” and “that being said”. Those both seemed to come out of nowhere. 

As I said, no real meaning to this thread.  Carry on everyone.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: “Super”, “grab” and “snag”

@gidgetgh  I, too, am sick of the overuse of "super" and "grab"...but especially "super"!

I have another one to add..."Purchased". My entire life, I've always "bought" things, never used the word "purchased". I don't know anyone else who uses it, either. I see it all the time here, though. There's nothing wrong with it, I just wonder why hardly anyone here says "bought".

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@gidgetgh  I, too, am sick of the overuse of "super" and "grab"...but especially "super"!

I have another one to add..."Purchased". My entire life, I've always "bought" things, never used the word "purchased". I don't know anyone else who uses it, either. I see it all the time here, though. There's nothing wrong with it, I just wonder why hardly anyone here says "bought".

@vermint - how about “fabrication” and “pant”, instead of fabric and pants? I’ve ever used the word fabrication in my life. I’m 63. 

Oh, and I have another one I hear on The Q and on these boards. “Garment”. I never use the word garment. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Reminds me of the rehab shows and picking out your "cabinetry"

Esteemed Contributor

One phrase that is becoming so irritating to me,it's "sort of".  Everything is sort of this and sort of that.  Is it or isn't it,for Pete's sake?  Quit with the ambiguity.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

The written word is meant to be somewhat more formal than what is spoken. That's the reason words like purchase, garment, as well as...are used.

The grab, snag trend has been picked up from hard sell sites.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh  It's cutesy talk, what a Barbie doll would say.

I agree, it's very annoying.

Respected Contributor

Do you want me to get off your lawn?
Respected Contributor

Young people talk the same way in my area as well, I mean too or also, hehehe, here in Philadelphia.   That super cute phrase annoys me.  I know that language is always evolving, but that super cute thing gets on my nerves.   I hear a lot of "as well".   To me, that sounds pretentious, snobby, but I know that's just me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with Judge Judy....I don't want to hear "like"

"It's ...like... too late to ...like go out. We could ...like...try to go tomorrow...