Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Summer's Here, Know Your Snakes!

@fourpaws56You are a brave soul.when I see a snake I get out of its way faster than lightning speed.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Whatnow I have to remove the rattlers to keep the grandkides safe....once I killed a rattler and I seriously cried, never again,I felt so bad!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56@You are a much kinder person than me.I would be happy to know that one snake was out of the picture for my grandkids and family safety.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not fearful of snakes that are not poisonous.  If I ever did see one that was poisonous on my property....I promise you, the world would have one snake less with no tears shed!!!!

Thankfully we don't have a lot of poisonous snakes in Indiana...although I have seen a water moccasin or two around the lakes.  I have heard that the rattle snake population has grown considerably in the Brown County area (southern Indiana).  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I also had a snake in my backyard trying to eat a toad.I took my hose and sprayed at the snake's head & he let the toad go. My good deed for that day!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ran right next to him and didn't see him until I was on top of him!  Layed right out on the trail last Wednesday.

original.jpeg

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@IG wrote:

@drizzella

That's the best part of catching and milking snakes, to make anti-venom!

It's very expensive and not that much is available.

Having been through the anti-venom treatment, I speak from experience.

And I never even saw him, until he bit me.

I am curious - how long did it take for you to get the anti-venom? Were you near a hospital? Did you catch the snake?

I am glad things worked out for you.

I still can't get over that poor man didn't get the anti-venom for 40 hours. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I grew up with my dad and grandpa not killing black snakes on the farm.   My brothers and I were always on the lookout for the big black snakes that hung around the barns, corn crib and granary.    The only black snakes I ever saw my dad kill were a pair of 6 ft long black racers that took up in our play area.  

My rule is that any snake on my porch, in my garage, or near my house dies.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@desertDi.  I know we have a plethora of rattlesnakes here.  My dad used to see them on the golf course all the time, but I've never seen a snake since I've lived here (knocking on wood).  No scorpions either, although we saw a small one in the house in West Texas.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Whatnow wrote:

@fourpaws56@You are a much kinder person than me.I would be happy to know that one snake was out of the picture for my grandkids and family safety.

@Whatnow.  Just think of all the mice and other varmints thst snake could have eliminated.  They are very important for rodent control.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment