Esteemed Contributor

Might sound silly-but there's a bird outside my bedroom window that squaks non-stop all night long...constantly without ever a pause....sounds like a sick quack!!  Anyone know what the heck is making so much noise up in that tree!!!  I live in RI....aren't too many weird birds around here-just the average backyard varieties-but this guy is loud!!  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

It might be a mockingbird.  They chirp all night and mimic other birds too.  Unless you have a vocal owl around.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I know it's not an owl....cause i've heard one in the backyard...but i'll see what i can find out about a mockngbird...the sound this birds makes all night is a deep squaky sound-don't know how to describe it better than that!!  Thanks....

@RoughDraft wrote:

It might be a mockingbird.  They chirp all night and mimic other birds too.  Unless you have a vocal owl around.

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I agree about it possibly being a mockingbird.  We had one in our backyard in San Francisco for I don't know how long until my husband got an air rifle, with NO pellets in it and simply aimed it at the bird and pftted it.  He did this for several nights and the bird finally left.  I tell you - I was so happy not to hear that darn bird again I wanted to have a party!

Esteemed Contributor

Friends-just googled the sound of a mockingbird-the bird in my tree has a much deeper chirp....

Super Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have something in my neighborhood that sounds like what you describe.  I honestly think it's some kind of insect or locust that sounds similar to a bird. Ive heard it for years at night around here.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Guessing Tree Frog.

They are so very arrogant; they sit up on tree limbs and croak for lady friends to join them.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

If you have landscape or security lighting.......it keeps the birds awake

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

The birds start chirping here at 3:30 am.  Thank goodness we have th windows closed because of the AC.

We have cicadas here that are very loud.