Trusted Contributor

Re: Suicide is a REAL epidemic in US - a little perspective

My opinion is based on having family and close friends attempt suicide and fail while others were successful.

We are wired to save ourselves. The sensation of of not being able to breathe while dreaming will cause a person to thrash and wake up screaming/be visibly upset and panicking while gasping for air. That's how deep the connection to survive is within our brain. Our bodies will recoil if something is too hot, too high, too deep, too ANYTHING that our brain suddenly declares a danger to our well being. So imagine what it takes for a person to fight that overwhelming response to NOT take precaution and do harm to him/herself. Imagine the pain  they must be in, the hopelessness they must feel to ignore all the messages to STOP and do whatever they feel is necessary to finally free themselves.

They are not weak. They simply want peace from the nightmare.

I've had someone very close to me die via medically assisted suicide. DId they take the "easy"  way out (as some stated at her funeral). Who is ANYONE to determine the depth of pain/suffering for another person? 

Suicide can be the end for those who have no options left. It can be the end for those who think there are no options left. It can be the end for those who are lost and don't have the ability to see there are other options. It's the last 2 groups who often need help but have no way of getting it...that breaks my heart.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

if someone has reached the point of wanting to take their own life, the lack of a gun will not prevent it. They will find an alternative. Suicide will not just go away if firearms do. Wish it were that easy.
Esteemed Contributor

At this point, my thought is a person can only take so much.

I believe there can be so much trauma that we just don't know how to process it, and it leads us to thinking of doing the unthinkable, just to escape the sheer heck we are living thru.

Therapy and medications can help a lot and there is nothing wrong with asking for help.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Goldengate8361 !

I'm going to reply and my reply may draw criticism but I'm not trying to go down any religious path.

The first time I was troubled by this topic was the news of Anthony Bourdain's suicide shortly after that of Kate Spade.  I remember thinking about what drove them to take their own lives:  lack of hope, thinking this is all there is, what?

We won't ever know the thought process of those lost to suicide but I know that sometimes what helps me get through the dark times of my life is faith, - faith that there is something much better on the other side of this life which can be unbearable at times.

I think some of us cling to faith and others don't have that benefit and the path can be very dark indeed.

Honored Contributor

@MJDinVegas wrote:

Hi, @Goldengate8361 !

I'm going to reply and my reply may draw criticism but I'm not trying to go down any religious path.

The first time I was troubled by this topic was the news of Anthony Bourdain's suicide shortly after that of Kate Spade.  I remember thinking about what drove them to take their own lives:  lack of hope, thinking this is all there is, what?

We won't ever know the thought process of those lost to suicide but I know that sometimes what helps me get through the dark times of my life is faith, - faith that there is something much better on the other side of this life which can be unbearable at times.

I think some of us cling to faith and others don't have that benefit and the path can be very dark indeed.

@MJDinVegas  I think Anthony Bourdain’s suicide had to do with his girlfriend not lack of hope. Pictures of her with another man,etc. I think pushed him over the edge.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @proudlyfromNJ !  I understand but could he not see his personal value beyond his relationship with her?  To me, there is a component of self-worth that is separate from anyone else or whatever else is going on that perhaps one cannot see.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
if someone has reached the point of wanting to take their own life, the lack of a gun will not prevent it. They will find an alternative. Suicide will not just go away if firearms do. Wish it were that easy.

True, one can kill themselves by hanging, taking pills, slicing their wrists, jumping off a cliff or bridge, asphyxiation, driving their vehicle off a cliff, etc.

Guns, are just one way to kill oneself.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@MJDinVegas wrote:

Hi, @proudlyfromNJ !  I understand but could he not see his personal value beyond his relationship with her?  To me, there is a component of self-worth that is separate from anyone else or whatever else is going on that perhaps one cannot see.

@MJDinVegas  I know what you are saying, but there is a thing called depression which tends to take over every other thought or emotion and sometimes just cannot be dealt with rationally.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ .  I understand and have to say that I haven't dealt with that.  I'm only speaking from my own perspective in the here and now.  I sincerely pray that things don't change in that regard.

Trusted Contributor

My cousin's husband committed suicide, as well as my 32 yr old nephew and his dad (our brother-in-law).