Esteemed Contributor

Suicide is a REAL epidemic in US - a little perspective

In 2017 alone, there were over 47,000 documented suicides in the U.S. Now that is a crisis! Perspective is everything! We shoukd be having media stories on this every week....and schools should be meeting to develop emergency plans to prevent suicies! (Suicide is tbe #2 killer among people ages 10-34 in the U.S.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suicide is a REAL epidemic in US - a little perspective

Several schools in our area have developed a curriculum to include a larger unit about mental health in PE and/or health classes.  They also have helplines and other emergency plans in place.  

I don't dispute that help is needed, but I think much of the problems stem from home life, and many schools are already understaffed with overworked employees.  So many things happen that are outside of the control of schools.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan the magnitude of this crisis is so large, tbere should be massive federal grants to combat it - both in schools and for everyone everwhere. it is far more than juzt a problem with home life.... the number of suicides each year is HUGE! ....Weve lost more people from suicides than from all wars over the last 100 years. Where are the alarm bells?

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@wildcat fan the magnitude of this crisis is so large, tbere should be massive federal grants to combat it - both in schools and for everyone everwhere. it is far more than juzt a problem with home life.... the number of suicides each year is HUGE! ....Weve lost more people from suicides than from all wars over the last 100 years. Where are the alarm bells?

I'm not a fan of federal money/grants unless there is a carefully pre-planned way to spend it and a pre-planned way to hold people accountable with some considerable follow up.

I understand that the issues go way beyond home life, but from my experiences and observations, that's the major cause of stress and messed up thinking.

Honored Contributor

IMO, just be kind to others. You never know what they are going through.  And if you can't be kind, just leave them alone and say nothing.  Silence really can be golden and life saving.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a public health epidemic. Just as most of us like having a federally funded CDC, a federal response to the current outbreak, there should be a federal response to the crisis of suicides. The numbers are staggering! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If we're doing the 'whatabouts' of epidemics/perspectives and

why we're not having media stories on this every week....

Adults of 45yrs on up, heart disease & cancer are #1 & #2 killers..

and the majority of those deaths can be prevented

by what we put in our mouth....by choice. 

Not sure dismissing what we are experiencing as it 

not being a 'real' issue to take in perspective is the best 

route to take, tho

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 ... Fed money isn't the answer.  Parental control isn't always the answer.  Just my take on it, but I've lost people to suicide because of their beliefs and situations.  Yes, social media and bullying has increased it, but it's a mind set of the person.  

Some were kids that lost their way and some were grown adults with good fiends and family around them.  Were they just "wired" wrong?  Did they need help?  Did any of us see the signs?  Did their family see any signs?

Suicide is a very private answer to the people that do it.  It may be a wrong answer, but it's their only answer.  There are plenty of resources and crisis lines out there to help, but sadly they don't always work. 

I had a friend that worked a call center.  She threatened to kill herself many times, but was working a call center.  She is still around and I pray the people she spoke to are.  My friends that didn't make it are in a better place and I assume that was their goal.  We never knew of the pain they hid in silence.  They were loving, giving people.  Seemed to enjoy their life.  

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Less easy access to firearms would decrease the number of suicides but that's rarely acknowledged.

Esteemed Contributor

The skyrocketing rate of suicides is a crisis in mental health, an important component of health.