Honored Contributor

Re: Suicide is a REAL epidemic in US - a little perspective

Suicide is nothing new. However, it has gotten much worse due to the closing of mental health facilities which occured decades ago. The problems were then ignored and never addressed again. I don't see it improving until the facilities are reopened and patients are treated there longterm. of course, that will not happen.

Honored Contributor

Re: Suicide is a REAL epidemic in US - a little perspective

@MJDinVegas wrote:

Hi, @Goldengate8361 !

I'm going to reply and my reply may draw criticism but I'm not trying to go down any religious path.

The first time I was troubled by this topic was the news of Anthony Bourdain's suicide shortly after that of Kate Spade.  I remember thinking about what drove them to take their own lives:  lack of hope, thinking this is all there is, what?

We won't ever know the thought process of those lost to suicide but I know that sometimes what helps me get through the dark times of my life is faith, - faith that there is something much better on the other side of this life which can be unbearable at times.

I think some of us cling to faith and others don't have that benefit and the path can be very dark indeed.

@MJDinVegas, it would be interesting to see whether there is a significant difference in the number of suicides between those who are religious and those who aren't. I am not the former, but as yet, even with my own battles, have never seriously thought of suicide. I hope that never changes, but I can't say that with any certainty, not knowing what life might throw at me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland