Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions pls, regarding community FB page.

[ Edited ]

I like the community page I belong much, much better than Nextdoor.

Nextdoor turned into nothing but one big advertising site for contractors, realtors, handymen, etc.

The community page I belong to only allows small businesses to advertise on the first Friday of the month.

Residents can advertise their own yard or garage sale but aren't allowed to sell on it, freebies only.

No politics, religion, personal attacks or doxxing other residents. 

And everything that Sunshine45 mentioned in their post.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for all the recommendations and also for the cautions. I've moderated other types of FB groups, so I am familiar with some of the inherent problems.  Based on your suggestions, I took a look at the NextDoor site for my former neighborhood and I'm not sure what I think about it.  I'll continue to look further.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I live in a senior community, and we use Google groups via email.  It’s a nice way to share community information, recommendations, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

I just bought a home in a newly constructed community. There will be approximately 100  homes when it's finished. I'd like to set up and moderate a community FB page so that residents can keep up with what's happening, or perhaps share items and services. 

If your community currently has its own FB page, can you please tell me what you like or don't like about it?

Thank you.

Itr's already set up. I've been a member of nextdoor dot com for 5 years - and it's the best. Your neighbors are on there - u just have to answer a few questions and ur on.This site has been so helpful for me - and I met several neighbors  A few months ago, I failed my smog test because I don't drive my car very much since I'm old. I posted on nextdoor - and 5 minutes later, a man responded - came over to my house - and drove my car on the freeway for 45 minutes. I then passed the smog test. I also met my best friend on nextdoor. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sherylsiu wrote:
  • Unfortunately in our neighborhood it is used mainly for complaints and arguing if someone recommends a company and someone does not like them they blame the person who recommended them instead of it being used as a positive forum it is the opposite.Neighbors find it a easy way to complain about each other and the person in charge of watching over it always leaves.Good luck

If I don't like someone, I just mute them. Most of the people on nextdoor are GREAT!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

It can be very informative but many in ours post photos of dog poop not picked up ( we all know what poop looks like), people they feel are speeding or some other traffic sin, etc. Not the place for public humiliation.  It can become a mean girls forum if not careful.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat :

If this home is for you, Gracie, Shadow, and the rest of your family, I hope you all enjoy it  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@kivah 

Our Nextdoor (.) com is excellent too,  well moderated, and the LPD / Sheriff do bi-monthly posts about interesting goings on - not tittle-tattle.

I believe the moderation is everything.

We found our baby Bertie 🐶 there.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@kivah 

Our Nextdoor (.) com is excellent too,  well moderated, and the LPD / Sheriff do bi-monthly posts about interesting goings on - not tittle-tattle.

I believe the moderation is everything.

We found our baby Bertie 🐶 there.

I found my GREAT mobile dog groomer on nextdoor -- also my hair dresser who works out of her house - 5 minutes from mine. And - several other service people. I also recommended many service people to others - and they were all satisfied. 

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy 

Wow! You have remarkable memory! I can hardly remember my own name these days!  And yes, we drove here with the two cats this past week, arriving yesterday. My old girl, Gracie, took it really well and seemed to enjoy her hotel stays. The two year old, Shadow (aka Li'l Man) is more sensitive and found it very difficult.  I tried to anticipate every place he could hide in the hotel rooms and block his entry, but he found his way into the inner workings of an unopened sofa bed and delayed our departure by almost an hour that day. I'm glad that adventure is behind us.

~ house cat ~