Honored Contributor

Suggestions pls, regarding community FB page.

I just bought a home in a newly constructed community. There will be approximately 100  homes when it's finished. I'd like to set up and moderate a community FB page so that residents can keep up with what's happening, or perhaps share items and services. 

If your community currently has its own FB page, can you please tell me what you like or don't like about it?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions pls, regarding community FB page.

I live in a master planned community and we have a Neighbor's FB page.  I love it.  I can't think of anything I dislike about it.  I would highly recommend having one in any neighborhood for those interested.

Honored Contributor

Nextdoor.com

You can set up an account for your neighborhood.

It's a great way to connect with your neighbors, everything from gardening tips,

recipes, hobbies etc., to any crimes that may occur there.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

• Unfortunately in our neighborhood it is used mainly for complaints and arguing if someone recommends a company and someone does not like them they blame the person who recommended them instead of it being used as a positive forum it is the opposite.Neighbors find it a easy way to complain about each other and the person in charge of watching over it always leaves.Good luck
Honored Contributor

is there also a nextdoor community app/website that encompasses your new home area? you may want to join that to see what people in your area are saying, requesting, and complaining about.

for FB, keep it a private page, but discoverable. make sure to ask a question or two that people have to answer before you approve them. do NOT make anyone else an admin......moderators are better if you find you need help. i like adding and featuring restaurants, events, and activities in the area to keep it moving daily. in our group people post various pics, ask for local recommendations, complain about everything under the sun, ask neighborhood questions, praise companies that they deal with.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a Community Group, not page.  I googled it and I think it is fairly easy to set up.  Don't know how you set any "rules" but ours is monitored by a resident.

Good idea, but can become very demanding when something is happening in the area!

Good luck in your new home!  NC mountains are the best!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat    Are you familiar with the NextDoor app?  It has nothing to do with FB but is a separate application set up by neighborhoods, where people chime in to chat.  It's similar to this board with guidelines and a moderator.  It's a great place to find a handiman, dentist, weed puller or to find out why the cops were down the street this morning.  An animal rescue group advertises dogs for adoption.  People sell or want to buy things, we discuss city hall, garbage service and what happened at McDonald's last night. 

If you aren't familiar with it, download the app from the app store or play store and check out your current neighborhood. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a FB page set up by a person who lives in our town. It's not Nextdoor it's just our towns name and FB. The person in town who runs it reads each post before it's posted so there is no nastiness, political stuff, etc. lots of people having curb alerts where they give stuff away for free and a lot of local info. About local traffic, something going on with the police, school closings,etc.

Respected Contributor

We don't have our own FB page but we do have the Nextdoor App which is also connected to other neighborhoods in the area.  It has recommendations for businesses, doctors, etc.  People also list items for sale or free to whoever responds first.  I will say, just like any other forum, people can get "heated" toward one another.  

Regular Contributor

Our lake house association has a FB page and I hate it.  I deleted Facebook and resent that I do not receive information on my community without enriching Zuckerberg.  I like nextdoor and you can set up a group there.