Valued Contributor

Suggestions, please, for a rimmed plate---

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so thought I'd try here. My sister is mentally disabled and legally blind. Consequently, when eating she pushes her food out of the plate and on to the table and floor. We thought a plate with a rim--like ones they make for toddlers--might help her to keep the food on the plate. Would anyone have suggestions on where I might find some or on brands? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions, please, for a rimmed plate---

Several sites came up when I googled plates for a blind person.
Esteemed Contributor

When my mom started having similar problems I bought several dinner sized plastic/melamine plates in different colors.  The have a bit of a lip and depending on the food the different colors made it easier for mom to see where the food was placed on the plate.  The yellow and red colors worked best for her but for something primarily white the blue worked best.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://www.amazon.com/Ableware-745310000-Inner-Lip-Plate-Sandstone/dp/B00LSOM8M0/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1435634583&sr=1-1&keywords=plates+with+lip&refinements=p_72%3A1248915011

http://www.amazon.com/Maddak-Inc-745310004-Inner-Lip-Plate/dp/B005EMIZ4C/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1435634583&sr=1-2&keywords=plates+with+lip&refinements=p_72%3A1248915011

Both are at Amazon with great reviews.

Hugs to your sister. 8)

Respected Contributor

Do you have a local medical/surgical supply store?  The type that sell assistive devices. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so thought I'd try here. My sister is mentally disabled and legally blind. Consequently, when eating she pushes her food out of the plate and on to the table and floor. We thought a plate with a rim--like ones they make for toddlers--might help her to keep the food on the plate. Would anyone have suggestions on where I might find some or on brands? Thanks.

I bet big pasta bowls would work. You can serve lts of stuff in them - soup, pasta, salad, even main courses. I am talking about the ones with the WIDE rims.

Honored Contributor

I have these from Williams Sonoma - They are $39 for 6 and last forever - I have had mine for well over 15 years and they look like new...

Williams-Sonoma Pantry Soup/Pasta Plate, Set of 6

Trusted Contributor

Hi, qualityshopper,

I have a couple ideas.  First is a Fiesta medium size (11 1/2-inch) oval platter.  At Macy's and other stores, I have seen the medium oval platter sold as part of a companion set with a bowl.  I bought the oval platter separately directly from homer laughlin on-line. 

The large size oval platter is really too big for me to use as a dinner plate, but I know some people prefer that size.  The large size oval platter is 13 1/2 inches, similar to the size used by restaurants for some of their meals.

The medium oval platter has such a nice edge.  This is a picture: 

photo 20140629_salad1_zps016b07fb.jpg

And again, with a sandwich and broth for dipping:

photo sandwich_zpsa70169d0.jpg

I also like terrier's idea of a pasta bowl.  I use a Fiesta pasta bowl often for dinner.  This Fiesta pasta bowl is only sold at Macy's:  It is rather shallow, I measure it at just a hair over 2 inches tall.

photo DSCN1670_zpse91addb8.jpg

Hope this gives you some good ideas.

Honored Contributor

Great idea about the platter, oceantown! I have no idea how I forgot to include that as a suggestion.

My son and I often eat on our  balcony and the medium platters are perfect. The rims help everything stay on the plate with no spills. I am having my 93 year old uncle and my cousin over this Sunday. We will be having Italian sauge, onion and pepper sandwichs, along with shrimp salad, on our red, white and blue platters.

Frequent Contributor

I have worked with people with disabilities my entire adult life.  I strongly recommend using a durable medical equipment company to find the right plate.  If you have insurance, ask your PCP for a referral to a Speech, Language Pathologist who can do a great evaluation and make recommendations for plates, utensils and even cups/glasses that will make it easier for your sister to remain independent.  God bless you for looking after her!