Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for giving away Cherished Teddies figures

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Our local Ronald McDonald House has a huge sale once a year. 

That was my first thought, @Peaches McPhee and @KingstonsMom.   They have a special place in my heart.❤️

Wonderful ideas by everyone!  You have a kind, charitable heart, @madzonie.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@madzonie wrote:

I have a rather large collection (100+) of Cherished Teddies resin figures. I would like to purge them from my home, but am not sure of the best way to do that.

I do not want to sell them. I would like to give them away, whether individually or the whole collection.

I have thought of donating them to a charitable organzation or a church or something like that for a rummage sale.  Maybe a children's hospital?

I have thought of putting an ad on Craigslist or one of the many free stuff pages on Facebook. 

I have all the corresponding boxes.

Any thoughts?

teddies 2.jpgteddies 1.jpg

If you know a classroom teacher, he or she might appreciate these. Teachers spend a great deal of money buying rewards for children. They would also make adorable classroom decor. If you know any expecting mothers, they might like these for their babyies' nurseries. If you know any preteen or young teen girls or boys, one of them might love to have the collection. Giving them to anyone that will cherish them would be wonderful. 

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom   Glad to hear they would take them. My mother had a huge collection of beanie babies.  After she passed, we tried everywhere.  Police stations, hospitals, fire departments, food banks.  Just trying to give them away for free.  Her collections were either sealed in bags, or still boxed.  No one wanted them.  Finally, after a year, we decided to give one plus candy out at Halloween to the young ones.  The young kids loved them.  Lasted two Halloween’s, but at least they were used.  She had a lot.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@madzonie  I agree with whomever said to maybe wait a little while (virus).

You could eventually sell them and donate the money where you want it to go.

With people's pocketbooks hurting now, charitable organizations could probably use the money.

Just thinking of alternatives.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@madzonie 

Contact your local Children's Hospital and ask for Social Services administrator or head of hospital.  They will be able to tell you best way to donate or if they'll accept.  If they won't, there are also County services you might ask for shelter of homeless families.

These facilities treat children with all illnesses.  My gf son has a rare leukemia (cancer) and is treated sometimes weekly.   he always asks us (friends & family) to help him bring care packages or toys for the kids room, a kid who had a treatment to pick from the "goody box" or for one who is in long term hospitalization.

These kids are all "super hero's" they face so many things and do it with smile🙂.  I'm amazed at all of them.

I think your bear collection will bring happy moments, smiles & joy to a child who has endured chemo & more.  For you, the moments of joy will be endless knowing "they" touched a special child.

bears are always "special" -- hopefully your Children's Hospital will take them. 🤞🏻I know just seeing the pics these kids would ❤️ getting one🧸

Respected Contributor

I'm going to add to my post above - The hospital option spreads the fun. 

~ You get the satisfaction of clearing out and sharing 

~ The nurses get the benefit of seeing the smiles of those who receive

~ The moms get to take something home and have a constant reminder of a stranger's kindness

Win-Win-Win =)

Honored Contributor

How about donating to your local police department for officer to give to children whose families are in a crisis?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

How about donating to your local police department for officer to give to children whose families are in a crisis?

@Kachina624  I was about to say the same thing.  Also the Department of Human Services in your state that handles adoptions and foster families.  I'll bet a lot of people who foster would love to have them.

Honored Contributor

Personally???

I would put them in their boxes, put them in some shopping bags, drive quickly to Goodwill, drop them off and drive speedily away.  Squeal of tires kind of getaway. 

No reflection on your collection at all, but once I decide I want something gone, especially something with that many pieces. I want it gone.  I don't want it to turn into a lengthy job for me to do it. 

Hie thee away!!!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

One of the sad things (among many) is that collectibles are no longer"collectible"

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.