Super Contributor

Suggestion for best moth repellant -

Since I am unable to use our local dry cleaner at the moment,  I would like a suggestion for the best moth repellant/cedar product that you have purchased online.  Amazon has a bunch that seem to have mixed reviews.  Have you had success with any particular product?  I would like to start stashing away some of my better woolens temporarily  untill I can get them to the dry cleaner.   Many thanks in advance

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestion for best moth repellant -

Sorry I can't help with any suggestions but your thread title immediately made me think of The Silence of the Lambs!
Esteemed Contributor

Gosh, I think I remember my mother using moth flakes or moth balls (I think that is what they were called). Pretty sure it was for woolen clothing.

I thought your title meant moths around your lights outside, lol. - yellow outdoor lights do the trick for bugs.

Trusted Contributor

@gellen wrote:

Since I am unable to use our local dry cleaner at the moment,  I would like a suggestion for the best moth repellant/cedar product that you have purchased online.  Amazon has a bunch that seem to have mixed reviews.  Have you had success with any particular product?  I would like to start stashing away some of my better woolens temporarily  untill I can get them to the dry cleaner.   Many thanks in advance

For years I have used moth packets and spray my drawers with cedar oil for my cashmere sweaters and scarfs.  Have never had a problem with moths.  I hand wash all my cashmere and have never had them dry cleaned.  Do far, so good.

Valued Contributor

One of the herbs that moths do not like is Rosemary. A lot of pests and insects do not like the herb. 

Honored Contributor

@gellen,

I have been using cedar balls and cedar oil from Vermont Country Store for many years.    Never experienced any moth damage to stored items.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For sweaters, scarves, and gloves I use the little silica gel packs that come in various packages like shoes.  I read about using them in Parade Magazine years ago.  I keep anything with wool in  plastic Ziplock bags and put 3 or 4 silica packs in each bag.  For wool coats and jackets/blazers I use the cedar hangers.  

Was just reading to store coats/jackets with silica packs in the pockets - great idea.