Honored Contributor

Such a Fun Discovery! Why the Song 'Il Mondo" Sounded Familiar in Movie 'About Time'

[ Edited ]

When I saw the movie About Time, which swelled with emotions and demanded a theme song that could support an ocean of gushing feelings, I instantly responded to Jimmy Fontana singing "Il Mondo" in the background (and sometimes foreground) of the film.

Going through an old carrier for 45's tonight (hadn't opened it in decades), I decided to riffle through the Greek and Italian 45's that I had purchased in Greece and Italy.  I must have about 50 - 60 records.  I never forgot the names of some of them and looked for them first.  Then I went to YouTube to search for them and play them since I do not have a player for 45's.

In the pile was a French record sung by Herve Vilard.  I probably bought it in Greece in 1966. I remembered "Capri c'est fini" and played that first (on YouTube).  On the flip side of "Capri" was "Un monde fait pour nous."   When I played it, I realized that it was "Il Mondo."   No wonder in 2013 or 2014 my soul instantly recognized "Il Mondo" in the movie About Time.

If you are interested, here is French singer Herve Vilard singing "Un monde fait pour nous"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN3UhWXnPqY

Frequent Contributor

Re: Such a Fun Discovery! Why the Song 'Il Mondo" Sounded Familiar in Movie 'About Time'

You should listen to I'll Mondo by Il Volvo.   Youtube

Honored Contributor

Re: Such a Fun Discovery! Why the Song 'Il Mondo" Sounded Familiar in Movie 'About Time'

[ Edited ]

Love that movie, love the music, so much, I bought it. Love that song too. Realized how much I love my CD's and DVD's of Il Lobo and Il _Volo____  the other group of men and how much I now like the Italian music of tenors.  It really is feel-good music.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

fanb, I have heard Il Volo's version of "Il Mondo," and I agree it is pulsating with passion and blood.  Herve Vilard -- although he copied Jimmy Fontana note for note -- was not up to the job.  Of course the YouTube video of him is from an earlier era, and Vilard's slight body simply could not tackle and control the force of the great song.  BUT, the song's great force carried him to a successful sale.

My favorite of all is Jimmy Fontana's version.  First of all, I prefer Italian to French, and for burning passion and longing, I believe Fontana brings it home. 

Italian brio is required.  LOL

Jimmy Fontana's "Il Mondo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu-iNE_xD9I

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

qualitygal, how much I love that movie, too!  I'm a fan of Italian bel canto music and songs of love and tenors. 

When I need a lifting up, I often look to such music.

How much I love "Caruso," sung by almost anyone but especially Luciano Pavarotti.

Pavarotti singing "Caruso"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDEdZfnULIg