Esteemed Contributor

Subway Really Cheesed Me Off Today

[ Edited ]

So, I have been working a crop load of overtime this month (and will continue to do so for the rest of the month), and today was no exception. In fact, I just got home.

So, I was at work today and was taking my lunch.

I decided to get a sandwich from Subway.

I went online, and ordered a low calorie  sandwich, and paid for it (online).

I went to Subway to pick it up, only to find that the doors were locked.

Now, this is 3:00 in the afternoon, mind you.

There were customers inside, and one person behind the counter who was making a sandwich.

I was told that the employee had to take her lunch and to come back in 30 minutes.

I was so taken aback, that I couldn't think to speak up.

(Why do words sometimes fail me when I need them the most?)

Anyway, Safeway was near by, so I went there and got a sandwich made.

Back at work, I hopped on the Subway website, went to their "Contact Us" page and left a hot, scathing reply, telling them what had happened, that I couldn't come back in 30 minutes, because I was on my lunch, too, and that I would never get another sandwich from that Subway ever again, and that I will tell everyone what had happened, and that I would leave a review on Yelp, which I did.

I told my co-workers what had happened, and they could see that I was steaming mad, and I said, "You don't come between me and my food, especially when I am hungry!"

I know that the only employee there had to take her lunch, I get that, I do, but all I wanted to do was to just pick up my food that I had already ordered and paid for.

So, yeah, Subway really cheesed me off today.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Subway Really Cheesed Me Off Today

I would never think a place of business would close for lunch. The new trend is for sections of some business to close for lunch.  Like when I would go to Raleys the pharmacy closed for 40 mins. But the entire store was open.  I have had some offices close for lunch.  The have sign posted out from and online.  But a Subway?  I would totally mad too.  The should never take an order if the close.  But hat restaurant or cafe closes for lunch??? 

Respected Contributor

Working at a low-wage, busy fast food restaurant on a Sunday of a holiday weekend is probably not the goal of most employees.

The restaurant probably lacks staff and the person inside really really needed/wanted a break.

Yes, I can feel bad that the OP missed getting her sandwich, but the situation just demonstrates how the service industry is still very important, but is the worst paid and least respected, with many unskilled workers, and with such a high turnover rate of staff.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819  That was so unfortunate to have that happen on your lunch break! I LOVE your coworkers response, because I feel the same way.😁 Have you tried calling their corporate office? The store might or might not respond, but you will most assuredly get a response from corporate. Sometimes there are systemic problems that exist unbeknownst to them. If nothing else, they might amend their online ordering process so that snafoos such as this are less likely to occur.🤞

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

As it happens one of my sons works at Subway.  They are low wage and "productivity" is very closely monitored.  It is hard for them to optimize staffing, particularly on a holiday weekend; and under no circumstances can a non manager exceed 38 hrs a week.  Three in the afternoon would be as slow as they get so I get a short break for only employee out front.  Never is there an excuse for taking an online pre paid order and not being open for PU.  In that respect I completely agree with original poster.

Super Contributor

@Anonymous032819 I have NEVER heard of anything like this!  Try finding a corporate/customer service phone number, you need a live person.

Trusted Contributor

There were customers inside, and 'one person' making a sandwich, and the doors were locked?  I wouldn't want to eat there.

Esteemed Contributor

I hear you. That stinks. I would never go back there again!!

Respected Contributor

My DH asked me to pick up one of their sandwiches for him on the way home.  It was the worst excuse for food that I've ever been exposed to.  You'd be better off just avoiding the place.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

My DH asked me to pick up one of their sandwiches for him on the way home.  It was the worst excuse for food that I've ever been exposed to.  You'd be better off just avoiding the place.

I'm of the opposite opinion of @RoughDraft .  I've always had excellent food at Subway - at any Subway I've visited.  However, being locked so someone can take a lunch is a no-no.  I hope the OP calls corporate and speaks to a live person.