Honored Contributor

🦌 Subbing for Mama Wick 6/17/2022 🦌

Took Chi-Chi for a romp in our private dog park late afternoon.  Not as good as Mama Wick regarding closeups - against the law to feed deer in N.J.

This was as close as I could get before Chi-Chi chased it back into the woods after her potty break.

Doe eating her dinner......

IMG_0313.jpg

Eating desert....

IMG_0319.jpg

OOPS!  She spots Chi-Chi just before she was chased back into the woods....

IMG_0318.jpg

Chi-Chi w/her innocent "Well, where the hell is my teat" look.

Chi-Chi-6-10-2022.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 🦌 Subbing for Mama Wick 6/17/2022 🦌

Heart

Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac,

Chi-Chi really does look like "Look what I did for you! Aren't you proud of me?! I protected you😊 "Yes now I'm waiting for my treat!"

If it is only one or a yard full, it is always a thrill to see a deer I think!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Chi Chi, you are a darling!  I'm sure you aren't comfy with those big deer, lol!

Thank you for your kindness and taking the time to post!

The Wicks are a very beloved couple as they take care of the deer.

I hope where ever the Wicks are, they are enjoying themselves!

Honored Contributor

Great pics. Beautiful area and I love your dog. Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Photos are great!

I feed wildlfe: deer, raccoons, o'possums, skunks, groundhogs, rabbits.  Sometimes a bear makes the rounds in the Spring.  We live in Pennsylvania.  It's illegal to feed wildlife.  I have heard the explanation:  the animals become dependent on that food source and don't forage for themselves in the wild.  I suppose it also applies to water.  I put water in our birdbath and refresh it once or twice a day.  I also put out two small bowls of water and refresh them as needed. 

So, I have done this consistently for 30 years.  I am breaking the law.  Somehow, it doesn't cause me a lot of anxiety. 

The wildlife look pretty healthy.  I also put out peanuts for the chipmunks and squirrels. How could I forget my chipmunks and squirrels? 

Esteemed Contributor

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

...and love that Chi-Chi!!!

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@maximillian  The way it was explained to us was that the "hunters" do not want to hunt the wildlife that will walk up to them expecting to be fed.  "No thrill in the kill."  In Joisey, there are seasons to hunt for turkeys, squirrels, pheasants, deer, bears & other small wildlife.  Culling the herd is what the police told us.  I can understand as there are more deer than humans.  And, if you are in the way of a spooked herd, you will get seriously injured.  Also, those darn turkeys are a PITA.  Their gobble can wake up the dead during mating season.

I was shocked to discover that there are separate seasons for hunting w/bows & arrows than there are for firearms.  I can't keep up w/the various hunting seasons.  I just stay out of the woods from Sept-January.  At night, we can hear shooting during off seasons.  I  think hunting small wildlife is all year round.

When I first moved here, one tenant who paid the signs & the cameras no mind was taken to jail after the 3rd warning from management about feeding the deer.  From my understanding, they never paid the $1500 fine after the 1st warning.  This person's lease was terminated.

The person did not have sense enough to go into the woods out of sight of the cameras.  Police told us there are cameras in the woods too.  I've lived here now for 10 yrs & I've never seen any cameras in the woods.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac Great pictures of the deer.  Thank you.  

Woofs and hugs to Chi-Chi.  What a cutie!🥰

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

Chi-Chi is quite the cutie!  How nice of you to take over for the Wicks while they are away.  I do hope they are both feeling better.  Any friend of animals is a friend of mine.  

We are well up in years, too old to handle a dog.  But we have a kitty - a Maine Coon - who thinks he is a dog.  Strictly an inside kitty, as there are some predators out there.