Honored Contributor

Re: Subaru Crosstrex

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

General Motors alone employs 6.1 million of your fellow Americans. Buy American cars.

We have always been a Ford family..our rogue son bought a '16 Chevy Traverse & the transmission died with 600 miles on it..right before they were supposed to drive to FL...the dealer finally took it back & he now loves his Ford Explorer! 

No Government Motors cars for us! 

When my car was in the shop I once borrowed my Dad's ford Taurus. OMG - I was on a 6 lane freeway going 65 MPH and it just quit. Nothing. Engine just stopped.By the grace of GOD I was able to drift it off the road before anyone hit me. Turns out there was something wrong with the computer. I could easioly have been killed.

Well, then clearly you have both had very different experiences with Fords.  It happens.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee   you get used to using it, the camera does have a wide angle . i must use the thing, it is not a bell/whistle feature.  its just the way the Crosstrek is designed.  its just a very tight visibility vehicle

@Pearlee wrote:

@CatsyCline  You make very important points for the OP. Smiley Happy  Especially about visibility. I would not want to have to rely on a backup camera for a rear view, esp. to back out of some place.

Trusted Contributor

I've been driving Subarus since 2003; I do lease for now (until I retire).  I've had 4 Outbacks, 1 Tribeca & 1 Forester.  For my needs, Outbacks are the best.  My nephew test drove a Crosstrex, I thought it was a little small, for me anyway.  You cannot go wrong with any Subaru!  

I have a 2017 Outback, love it!  My sister has a 2016 with the eye assist which she loves.  When the dealer took my 2015 Outback, I was getting 34 mpg.  This one only has 1500 miles so I haven't paid attention to the mileage yet.  

Good luck on whatever you choose!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

General Motors alone employs 6.1 million of your fellow Americans. Buy American cars.

We have always been a Ford family..our rogue son bought a '16 Chevy Traverse & the transmission died with 600 miles on it..right before they were supposed to drive to FL...the dealer finally took it back & he now loves his Ford Explorer! 

No Government Motors cars for us! 

When my car was in the shop I once borrowed my Dad's ford Taurus. OMG - I was on a 6 lane freeway going 65 MPH and it just quit. Nothing. Engine just stopped.By the grace of GOD I was able to drift it off the road before anyone hit me. Turns out there was something wrong with the computer. I could easioly have been killed.

Happened to me in a Pontiac Grand Am... was extra blessed.

After that, I was fortunate to have a Nissan, then a Toyota, and then a Subaru - my fave.  Heart

Hopefully, it will be nothing but Subarus in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@Pearlee   you get used to using it, the camera does have a wide angle . i must use the thing, it is not a bell/whistle feature.  its just the way the Crosstrek is designed.  its just a very tight visibility vehicle

@Pearlee wrote:

@CatsyCline  You make very important points for the OP. Smiley Happy  Especially about visibility. I would not want to have to rely on a backup camera for a rear view, esp. to back out of some place.

I had to rely on the backup camera fully with my Forester yesterday when I drove my daughter home from college - we moved out of her dorm. The back of the car, with the seats down, fit AN ENTIRE dorm of things, including a 3ft tall refrigerator!!! The cargo space was filled with boxes, using every bit the space - it has amazing amount of room when you have the need. I  really thought I was going to have to rent a mini van this year but we were good!!! 

Respected Contributor

The backup camera is great.  Especially the ones that have an alarm on them when you're about to hit something.  Comes in handy when the idiots walk behind you in shopping center parking lots.  Gosh forbid if they stop and wait three seconds for you to back out.  I guess they're ones that their mothers never taught them to look both ways before crossing a street.  Major pet peeve of mine.  Especially when I'm 90 percent out of the space, the idiots still walk behind you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

The backup camera is great.  Especially the ones that have an alarm on them when you're about to hit something.  Comes in handy when the idiots walk behind you in shopping center parking lots.  Gosh forbid if they stop and wait three seconds for you to back out.  I guess they're ones that their mothers never taught them to look both ways before crossing a street.  Major pet peeve of mine.  Especially when I'm 90 percent out of the space, the idiots still walk behind you.  

Yep, 95% of driving is watching out for the other guy...parking lots can be the most challenging. I've recently started taking spots furthest from the stores- a few more steps on my fitbit plus away from the potential chaos!

Valued Contributor

Cross Trek update! Took a test drive today..loved it! My husband is 6'4" & he has plenty of head-room & foot-room! It is a '17 model with 500 miles on it..they are detailing it today & we'll pick it up tomorrow..we'll be taking it on it's first trip in July to St Joe, MI..

thanks for all the comments (mostly positive) from everyone. Helped make our decision!

Honored Contributor

Great deal and congrats, @Evie2004 - happy traveling to you both!

Valued Contributor

Re: Subaru Crosstrex

[ Edited ]

Congrats @Evie2004!!  I am starting to really like mine.  My husband is 6 foot 3 and a foot taller than I am and it works for both of us.  I did clunk my head once because of the slant of the door frame and the fact I need the seat up.  So heads up (or down)!

What color did you choose and did you get the eye sight and other bells and whistles?

Enjoy your new vehicle!  They gave me a $50 gas card for coming back after a couple of weeks and having them answer all my questions and walk through all the features.  I would have gone back regardless of the incentive, but it was a nice thing to get a gas card.