Honored Contributor

@Goldenmoher wrote:

I just traded in my 15 year old sedan for a Subaru Outback. Ease of entry/exit and safety were my major concerns. I love it! So many more features than my old car, drives great and able to hop in and out. A good decision for me. 

@Goldenmoher The Forester is easier to hop in and out of because the Outback is a crossover - it's a sedan body with a cargo hold. The Forester is a true SUV and therefore sits up higher and  is easier to climb in and out of (as Amy Stran would say - oh wait, she's talking about clothes!)

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Millions of Americans are employed by companies that make things which go into the manufacturing of cars - my DH was one of them! His companies main customer - about 70% of their business - was GM.There are many other companies like his in this country. Cars like Toyota & Honda are made from parts manufactured in other countries and shipped here to be assembled. All that is done here is put them together. Can't you understand the difference? The guy making the wires in a Honda is in Japan - the guy making the wire in my Buick lives & works in Fort Wayne, Ind. This is a fact - my DH's company made all the wire for GM.

@151949 Please don't insult me. Yes, I understand the difference but the foreign plants here are employing Americans to assemble them and thus making jobs for them.  Why do you think so many American cities vie to have such a plant?  Frankly, I prefer a vehicle that is completely made in Japan.  I think the workers are a lot better and have a bette work ethic.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH & I bought a brand new 2015 Subaru Forester & absolutely love it.  After having vans for 30 years, my mobility issues became worse & I could no longer climb up into our van.  It has lots of safety features & we get 32 miles on the highway.  We would buy another one in a heart beat!  The Outback was too high up for me.

Valued Contributor

Re: Subaru Crosstrex

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

General Motors alone employs 6.1 million of your fellow Americans. Buy American cars.

We have always been a Ford family..our rogue son bought a '16 Chevy Traverse & the transmission died with 600 miles on it..right before they were supposed to drive to FL...the dealer finally took it back & he now loves his Ford Explorer! 

No Government Motors cars for us! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Evie2004 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Evie2004  Please take yours and your husband's age into account.  At my age, how easy it is to get in and out of a vehicle is important.  @Ibby114 's post reminded me that I read that the Forester is one of  the vehicles considered in the top ten most senior-friendly cars, in terms of ease of in-and-out, and not having to struggle out of the vehicle if you have back problems or arthritis and such.    Her saying the crosstrex is lower to the ground is what reminded me of it.  When I test drove Subarus, the Forester was easier for me to get out of than the Outback for this reason.  I can't remember what it was like getting in and out of the Crosstrex because I'd already crossed it off my list for being too small.

I hear what you're saying, Pearley, I noticed the "lowness" yesterday, when I sat in it..I want to look at the Forester also, my Edge is so easy to slide in & out of, but we are just looking for something smaller (will eventually be given to our granddaughter) 

we are impressed with all the safety awards with the Subaru. This won't be our primary vehicle as we have a full-size SUV, for trips & etc.

thanks for your advice!

I believe the ground clearance on the Forester and the Crosstrek are exactly the same. The difference is the Forester is 3" higher, meaning more head room.  The Forester is also 1/2" wider and 6" longer.  

Respected Contributor

I traded in my 2003 Forester in Dec. for a 2017 Forester Touring & love it.  I had to special order it in Sept. because the Sepia Bronze Metallic was a new color  (What I wanted was the Saddle Brown leather interior that came in it) & I think they didn't realize how well it would sell & when the dealer checked, there wasn't a single one unsold in the whole country sitting on some dealer's lot to ship to me.

My 1993 Subaru Legacy was built in Lafayette, IN so Subaru builds some models here in the US

Esteemed Contributor

We dont have the crosstrex. But we have 2 Subaru outbacks and wont buy any other car. They are great in snow, hold their value, last long, and are even good to sit in with my bad back.lol. (As a matter of fact I cant sit in a real low car anymore). Love our Subaru's!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

i have had a Crosstrek for 6 months. i am a 5'5".  its OK but after driving it for awhile, its too small  you can raise the seat - so i sit first and swivel. the seats are comfy. i have a bad back and a lot of pain.. i do have leather and heated seats.. 

i have hit my head on the door frame getting in, and the fit and finish isnt as nice.there are no storage bins for sunglasses and the windshield slants back at a sharp angle so sun glare is a problem  .. the strong daylight coming in is an adjustment. .

the rear view is very difficult. to reverse, you use a backup camera because the rear window again is slanted and small. . left side visibility when turning or merging can be poor.

oh and you can hear undercarriage road noise. when you test drive try to take it out on the highway without the sales guy along to distract you.. 

loved my my 03 Forester, it finally had undercarriage rot and some other problems and failed inspection . it had 180k miles  . i hated to give up my Forester!   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline  You make very important points for the OP. Smiley Happy  Especially about visibility. I would not want to have to rely on a backup camera for a rear view, esp. to back out of some place.

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

General Motors alone employs 6.1 million of your fellow Americans. Buy American cars.

We have always been a Ford family..our rogue son bought a '16 Chevy Traverse & the transmission died with 600 miles on it..right before they were supposed to drive to FL...the dealer finally took it back & he now loves his Ford Explorer! 

No Government Motors cars for us! 

When my car was in the shop I once borrowed my Dad's ford Taurus. OMG - I was on a 6 lane freeway going 65 MPH and it just quit. Nothing. Engine just stopped.By the grace of GOD I was able to drift it off the road before anyone hit me. Turns out there was something wrong with the computer. I could easioly have been killed.