Esteemed Contributor

My husband drives a Crosstrek--fully loaded--and loves it.  I think it is a nice car, but is a bit sleaker/sportier than my preferences.  I like boxy, utilitarian vehicles. You could give me a shoebox with wheels and, as long as it has heated leather seats, a sunroof and is in the color of my choice, I'm good to go!

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Evie2004  Please take yours and your husband's age into account.  At my age, how easy it is to get in and out of a vehicle is important.  @Ibby114 's post reminded me that I read that the Forester is one of  the vehicles considered in the top ten most senior-friendly cars, in terms of ease of in-and-out, and not having to struggle out of the vehicle if you have back problems or arthritis and such.    Her saying the crosstrex is lower to the ground is what reminded me of it.  When I test drove Subarus, the Forester was easier for me to get out of than the Outback for this reason.  I can't remember what it was like getting in and out of the Crosstrex because I'd already crossed it off my list for being too small.

I hear what you're saying, Pearley, I noticed the "lowness" yesterday, when I sat in it..I want to look at the Forester also, my Edge is so easy to slide in & out of, but we are just looking for something smaller (will eventually be given to our granddaughter) 

we are impressed with all the safety awards with the Subaru. This won't be our primary vehicle as we have a full-size SUV, for trips & etc.

thanks for your advice!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Subaru Crosstrex

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Evie2004  Please take yours and your husband's age into account.  At my age, how easy it is to get in and out of a vehicle is important.  @Ibby114 's post reminded me that I read that the Forester is one of  the vehicles considered in the top ten most senior-friendly cars, in terms of ease of in-and-out, and not having to struggle out of the vehicle if you have back problems or arthritis and such.    Her saying the crosstrex is lower to the ground is what reminded me of it.  When I test drove Subarus, the Forester was easier for me to get out of than the Outback for this reason.  I can't remember what it was like getting in and out of the Crosstrex because I'd already crossed it off my list for being too small.

The OP should consider buying safety features with a new car, and a power lift gate on a SUV. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

The OP should consider buying safety features with a new car, and a power lift gate on a SUV. 

@Nuttmeg Well I certainly wasn't excluding those - why quote m post?  I even mentioned the Forester which has a great safety record and is a Subaru too. Huh?

Honored Contributor

My suggestion is to test drive a Nissan Rogue.   My cousin absolutely loves hers, and in the past she has driven several expensive sedans.   When she retired, she just wanted to buy something different from everything she'd ever owned.   Her favorite vehicle ever was a Nissan Pathfinder, so she went back to that dealership and traded her fancy car in for the Rogue.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Nuttmeg Well I certainly wasn't excluding those - why quote m post?  I even mentioned the Forester which has a great safety record and is a Subaru too. Huh?

Re: safety, my son totaled my first Forester back in 2013. The front end literally looked like an accordian- and his only injury was a fractured bone in one foot. He even walked on it for a couple weeks before he got an x ray!  Kids !! Woman Surprised Even then all he needed was a boot (no surgery). That sold me on getting another Forester.

Honored Contributor

General Motors alone employs 6.1 million of your fellow Americans. Buy American cars.

Super Contributor

I just traded in my 15 year old sedan for a Subaru Outback. Ease of entry/exit and safety were my major concerns. I love it! So many more features than my old car, drives great and able to hop in and out. A good decision for me. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

General Motors alone employs 6.1 million of your fellow Americans. Buy American cars.

@151949  America is also a free marketplace, a society with the capitalistic system.  Therefore, I say get the best product fot the money in the marketplace.  If American vehicles can't compete in that regard with foreign ones, then being a good capitalist, I get a foreign one.  

Besides, I'm not so sure there are any such things as American cars any more.  Aren't the parts manufactured all over the world.  And Hondas are made in America - at least some models of them - as are other foreign vehicles.  You can "buy an American car" by getting  Honda made in Marysville Ohio, or so I'm told.  Isn't there a foreign car plant in Tennessee also?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Millions of Americans are employed by companies that make things which go into the manufacturing of cars - my DH was one of them! His companies main customer - about 70% of their business - was GM.There are many other companies like his in this country. Cars like Toyota & Honda are made from parts manufactured in other countries and shipped here to be assembled. All that is done here is put them together. Can't you understand the difference? The guy making the wires in a Honda is in Japan - the guy making the wire in my Buick lives & works in Fort Wayne, Ind. This is a fact - my DH's company made all the wire for GM.