Valued Contributor

I am looking at buying this Subaru..looked at it today in the showroom & plan to test drive it this weekend..

does anyone have this model? Am wondering if the highway MPG is accurate @ 30mpg.we will be driving it around town & on interstates..

I am downsizing from my beloved Ford Edge, & it seemed a little tight, sitting in it today, looking forward to the test drive..

Respected Contributor

One of my old co-workers just bought one - she loves it!  It's really sharp looking. 

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

I am looking at buying this Subaru..looked at it today in the showroom & plan to test drive it this weekend..

@does anyone have this model? Am wondering if the highway MPG is accurate @ 30mpg.we will be driving it around town & on interstates..

I am downsizing from my beloved Ford Edge, & it seemed a little tight, sitting in it today, looking forward to the test drive..

I test drove last year's model and it was too small a vehicle for me and my cargo needs.

Valued Contributor

I got one a couple of months ago.  I did not get the electronic bells and whistles.  For my purposes, it is a good size.  I am getting about 29 mpg just driving around town (live in a large metro area).  The 2018 Crosstrek is supposed to be redesigned and larger if you decide to wait until they come out.  I was looking for a smaller SUV that was not tiny (also looked at the Mazda CX3 - too small and very stripped down, Toyota RAV4 - larger than the Forester believe it or not but nicely appointed, and the Honda HRV - also very small. 

Let us know what you think!  I have ALWAYS owned a Toyota so this is a big change for me! 

Valued Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

I got one a couple of months ago.  I did not get the electronic bells and whistles.  For my purposes, it is a good size.  I am getting about 29 mpg just driving around town (live in a large metro area).  The 2018 Crosstrek is supposed to be redesigned and larger if you decide to wait until they come out.  I was looking for a smaller SUV that was not tiny (also looked at the Mazda CX3 - too small and very stripped down, Toyota RAV4 - larger than the Forester believe it or not but nicely appointed, and the Honda HRV - also very small. 

Let us know what you think!  I have ALWAYS owned a Toyota so this is a big change for me! 

Thanks ceekay,  glad to hear about the mpg! & for the heads up for the 2018 model, being larger..my husband wants all the bells & whistles, as we plan on giving it to our granddaughter in about 3 years..I really just want the heated seats😊 I know what you mean about sizing..my Edge is almost 9 years old & is perfect size for me..I will ask them about the '18 model..when I drive one this weekend..thanks again!

Honored Contributor

A resdesign will affect the resale value of the older model, so you might want to wait til the 2018s come out.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Subaru Crosstrex

[ Edited ]

I have the model larger- a 2015  Forester- and I love it! Great interior space in the car, good headroom- and it gets around 29 mpg. Win wn every way you look at it; I had a loaner Crosstrex and it rode smoothly. But it felt much smaller, closer to the ground also- I imagine the mpg are at least the same as my Forester. 

Respected Contributor

I have a 2015 Limited.  No bells and whistles, just the standard equipment.

Love it for it's high ground clearance and All-Wheel Drive (we live where there can be lots of snow).  And for it's front seat leg room.

Problem is, to create more passenger room, they sacrificed cargo room in the back.  Same thing on the new Imprezas.  If you need carry a lot of stuff often, you might look into a Forester.

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004  Please take yours and your husband's age into account.  At my age, how easy it is to get in and out of a vehicle is important.  @Ibby114 's post reminded me that I read that the Forester is one of  the vehicles considered in the top ten most senior-friendly cars, in terms of ease of in-and-out, and not having to struggle out of the vehicle if you have back problems or arthritis and such.    Her saying the crosstrex is lower to the ground is what reminded me of it.  When I test drove Subarus, the Forester was easier for me to get out of than the Outback for this reason.  I can't remember what it was like getting in and out of the Crosstrex because I'd already crossed it off my list for being too small.

Valued Contributor

The Crosstrek has the same 8 inch ground clearance that the Forester does (we own both now).  My 90 year old mom is able to get in and out of my Crosstrek pretty easily but she has to hop a little to get into the Forester - maybe the seats are positioned differently.  She is a whopping 4 feet 9 inches tall now. 

I replaced an older RAV4 with the Crosstrek.  It was the closest in size to the 2002 RAV4 that I could find.  We also love our Forester and several other people in my family also own a Forester.  A friend just got a new Outback - nice car but lower to the ground than I wanted. 

I also looked at and test drove the Hyundai Tucson - thought for sure that would be my next vehicle.  Nope - could not see a thing out of it. 

Cars are so different for different people.  Seems if the mid term goal is to give the new car to your granddaughter maybe you should consider her size and preferences. 

Again, good luck with your search!