Esteemed Contributor

Re: Subaru Ascent- anybody have one? Opinions?

@jeanlake wrote:

2019 Subaru Forrester Sport here (with that groovy orange stripe). Previously drove Honda CRV and Mazda CX5. Liked all, but AWD Forrester is great for our travels. Daughter has dibs on buying it when my next purchase will be an electric vehicle. I considered Ascent for my bicycles but hub's truck and Ascent would make our garage too tight, so I have bike rack that I have to put on and remove - or put bikes in back of truck. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Ascent, if you like it.  

Our 2020 Subaru Forrester Sport has the Orange stripes too.  It was love at first sight.

Valued Contributor

@Marybella wrote:

We are thinking of buying a Subaru Ascent. I'd appreciate any opinions, especially on rear cargo space. We have a Tahoe now and fear that going smaller might limit our luggage area when traveling. Thanks!

You'll definitely notice a difference in the cargo space. But if you currently have room to spare, you should be ok. We have a Tahoe and utilize all the space it has. Anything smaller would not be an option for us. 

I also live in Northern Michigan.  I'm comfortable with the ground clearance of the Tahoe, but also the HP and weight.  But then again, I've had a few accidents with deer, so I need to feel comfortable with some specs.

Esteemed Contributor

@twinny70 Hi Twinny. My car is silver and with so many foresters on the road - that orange stripe stands out in parking lots. My daughter claimed 'dibs' on buying it from me when I'm ready. My grown kids do that when I'm ready to buy a new vehicle. Must be that family discount mom gives! 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marybella 

Someone might already had  mentioned this, but the latest issue Consumer Reports contains new car reviews for all the makers, including Subaru and specifically the Ascent.

The Ascent does not rank very well, receiving only a rating of 60 out of 100 and well below other Subaru models.

It receives a very good "road test" score but a poor one for "reliability". Other info about the model is also provided.

You might want to buy an April 2021 copy of Consumer Reports if you don't subscribe and check out the auto reviews (for new, used) and other good car information.

People might have very different personal experiences with any car model, regardless of what reviewers say, so take it all with an open mind and maybe a grain of salt if you really like a particular car for some reason.

Esteemed Contributor

We are a Subaru loving family. So far, we have owned 8. (Legacy, Outback Wagon, Sedan, Crosstrek)  I just don't think you can go wrong with the safety and security of this solid vehicle no matter the model. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been a Subaru owner for almost four years (after being a longtime satisfied Cadillac and Toyota owner.  Owned both of those for more than 10 years each.)

I bought the Forrester for its high ratings for overall front and rear window visibility, ease of getting in and out of the car, and its overall safety and reliability.

Haven't been disappointed.  Am actually thinking of buying a newer Forrester, even though I don't really need one. 

Valued Contributor

MY SON   JUST BOUGHT A SUBARU OUT BACK  WOW ITS BEAUTIFUL  THATS THE ONLY CARS HE BUYS   

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@twinny70 Hi Twinny. My car is silver and with so many foresters on the road - that orange stripe stands out in parking lots. My daughter claimed 'dibs' on buying it from me when I'm ready. My grown kids do that when I'm ready to buy a new vehicle. Must be that family discount mom gives! 

jeanlake, we love the Orange accents on the inside too.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marybella 

When I posted a few days ago about your question concerning the Subaru Ascent, I forgot to mention that if you're in the market for a large three-row SUV like that, you might want to consider looking at the KIA Telluride.

This has consistently ranked the highest in its class by Consumer Reports.  My son bought one shortly after they came out when they were hard to find.  He had to even look for that car from dealers in other states.

.  He loves his, and it is a beautiful car.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.  I think car shopping is not an easy job or a quick decision to make--at least for me.