Valued Contributor

Subaru Ascent- anybody have one? Opinions?

[ Edited ]

We are thinking of buying a Subaru Ascent. I'd appreciate any opinions, especially on rear cargo space. We have a Tahoe now and fear that going smaller might limit our luggage area when traveling. Thanks!

Update: We bought the Ascent and really like it. The seats are a little stiff, but other than that it's great. We are in the break-in period and managed to get 30 mpg on the highway today on a little road trip. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Subaru Ascent- anybody have one? Opinions?

It's a great vehicle.  We live in the snowy, sometimes icy Northeast, so we have driven Subarus since the early 1990s.  At this time, my husband has a Subaru Ascent.  We have two dogs-large dogs-Weimaraners.  My husband fit two dog crates (made them very safe so they don't move around) in the cargo space.  It works very well for him.  We also take road trips (not with the dogs), and it is a very comfortable car to ride in.  Of course it has the Subaru safety features.  Highly recommend the Subaru Ascent. 

Valued Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

It's a great vehicle.  We live in the snowy, sometimes icy Northeast, so we have driven Subarus since the early 1990s.  At this time, my husband has a Subaru Ascent.  We have two dogs-large dogs-Weimaraners.  My husband fit two dog crates (made them very safe so they don't move around) in the cargo space.  It works very well for him.  We also take road trips (not with the dogs), and it is a very comfortable car to ride in.  Of course it has the Subaru safety features.  Highly recommend the Subaru Ascent. 

@maximillian We have had three Outbacks, so love Subaru. I have a 2020 that I love. I will keep that one. Hubby likes driving a larger vehicle and has had three Tahoes. Can't get a Tahoe right now as there is a real shortage in our area of Upper Michigan. The prices have skyrocketed on them, too. So, knowing the quality of Subaru, I suggested he try the Ascent.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend who has a Subaru Forrester. I have riden in her car many times. She brought a car without an auto lift gate. My friend wanted to save some money. This is a beautiful car with all the bells. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks to a poster here a couple of years ago, we have been loving our Forrester.  

The best of luck and safety with whatever you choose, and to all posters.

Subaru makes an excellent car.  They have thought of every detail and convenience that I can think of.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

We had a 2015 Subaru Forrester & loved it so much that we bought a 2020 Subaru Forrester Sport.  We had planned to do a lot of traveling until the Pandemic showed up. It's got a lot of bells and whistles & the safety features are nice.  

Glenda

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

Thank you for these replies, but I want to know specifically about the Ascent. I have had three Subaru Outbacks and love them. Subaru isn't the question. It's the Ascent model I want to get opinions on.

Esteemed Contributor

When my Escape died with 130,000 miles on it, we looked at the Subaru. One of my reps had one and loved it. So, off to the dealership we went. Checked it out, test drove, checked the turning radius and all that. We purchased it in 2018 and are loving it.

Btw, gas mileage is pretty good. On long trips we aren't looking for a gas station as often.

The ride is also smooth, and the car is quiet.

Good luck in your search.

Esteemed Contributor

2019 Subaru Forrester Sport here (with that groovy orange stripe). Previously drove Honda CRV and Mazda CX5. Liked all, but AWD Forrester is great for our travels. Daughter has dibs on buying it when my next purchase will be an electric vehicle. I considered Ascent for my bicycles but hub's truck and Ascent would make our garage too tight, so I have bike rack that I have to put on and remove - or put bikes in back of truck. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Ascent, if you like it.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau