Valued Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This year I ordered a couple of food items and I'm left with the styrofoam boxes they were shipped in. We can't recycle them, so do you have any tips on how to break them down for the trash ? They are tough suckers. TIA.

Animal rescue groups use them to make insulated shelters for stray cats.  You could donate them to one of those groups.  I used one to make a shelter in my back yard for a stray that passes through.  

Respected Contributor

I would use them as storage containers for the garage just write what is inside, like holiday decorations or other things. Great cooler or store seasonal clothes something, waste to throw it away. 

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 I sometimes use them to pack fragile decorations in the. Or to keep food or beverages cold in the summer while I sit out side.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This year I ordered a couple of food items and I'm left with the styrofoam boxes they were shipped in. We can't recycle them, so do you have any tips on how to break them down for the trash ? They are tough suckers. TIA.

I just set them on top of my garbage can and they are gone. No need to waste a plastic bag on them, garbage men don't care.

Respected Contributor
The Meals on Wheels program in my community is delighted to take those containers off my hands. They also like to get the packing materials from my Hello Fresh shipments.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the great ideas for recycling these containers, I try never to order anything that might be packaged in Styrofoam. We recycle just about everything.

Honored Contributor
I do not toss these boxes! Styrofoam food boxes are great to store breakable holiday ornaments in. I also use them in the car during the summer when I go to the grocery store and buy cold foods. I keep a tall, narrow styrofoam box behind the driver seat in my car for when I pick up milk at the Dollar General to keep it from turning over in the car on the way home.

When I burned my great grandmother's cabinet, I took the glass out of the door, broke it into large pieces, sealed the glass in one of these coolers, identified it as broken glass, and set it out for trash pickup.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Styrofoam Containers

[ Edited ]

This is why I will not buy perishable food online or subscribe to any of the recipe kit servicies.

I used get a mail order prescription shipped in those containers and felt bad about putting all that stryrofoam into the environment.  The town I live in is reviewing legislation to make it illegal for fast food takeout and beverage cups.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

This is why I will not buy perishable food online or subscribe to any of the recipe kit servicies.

I used get a mail order prescription shipped in those containers and felt bad about putting all that stryrofoam into the environment.  The town I live in is reviewing legislation to make it illegal for fast food takeout and beverage cups.

I agree they should outlaw styrofoam.  I have to have one of my dogs' prescriptions compounded out of state and it is shipped to me with cold packs in one of those things each month.  I wish there was another way to do it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Styrofoam Containers

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Why not do your part and instead of disposing of them, why not use them as coolers when you need a cooler? I have several that I keep and use any chance I get. I keep one in the trunk of my car and use it when bringing home frozen food from the grocery store during the hot summer days. It's a great idea! I'm not about to contribute to the throw away society of today. 

That is what I do. I keep it in the trunk of my car. And whenever I go to the grocery I fill the cooler with all the refrigerated or frozen items that I bought. I don't worry about the items if I don't go straight home.

PS Someone made an excellent suggestion - I will talk to the people that run our local food bank. And see if they could use the coolers. If not, I will ask a local pet rescue group.