Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stupid people taking selfies

@Venezia  There was a guy last week who threw gas on a fire in a firepit. Of course he ended up in the hospital.  I'm not saying I was smarter in my teens, but criminy, at that age I knew that  mixing gasoline and fire is stupid. 

I knew not to eat detergent or do any other moronic thing they do on You Tube.  There are 16 yr. olds mature beyond their years, and there are 20/30 yr. olds that don't have the sense God gave a goose.

One of Mom's favorite sayings "Would you jump of a bridge just because your friends did?"

Respected Contributor

I agree the woman had a lapse in judgement and do not feel much sympathy for her. I am glad she will be ok. I am sad for the animals at the zoo and the zoo. There will be a law suit and the zoo will be found negligent in protecting the animals from the people or the people from the animals. If this is the second time someone has gone around the barrier then they have knowledge of it and did not fix it with a people proof barrier.

I hope the Jaguar stays safe and that they put up idiot barriers!

doxie

@Cakers3 

Thanks for the ogden nash poem! It brought back memories of a loved one that knew many of his poems.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no empathy for people who pay the price for their VERY stupid actions...especially for a freaking SELFIE.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I read online that there are many people who need therapy to stop taking these selfies, there are people out there who take over 300 to 400 selfies a day. Go on u tube and you will see videos of why and how they manage to take so much in one day. Just cray... cray. Woman Indifferent

@apple1964   They don't need therapy.  They need some people "judging" their stupid behavior and calling them out.  In light of other discussions recently here. . . Woman Indifferent

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This happened not far from where we live. When I first saw it last night, my thoughts were that she went around a barrier. What an idiot.

She won’t need a selfie now to remember her day at the zoo. All she has to do is look at her arm.

And if she tries to sue, I hope the zoo counter sues her.

Honored Contributor

Also, what happened to people being ashamed of being so stuck on themselves?

Honored Contributor

p.s. to my previous post:

The man, while holding his baby, reached over the cat-proof curved cyclone fence barrier which was attached to a cement wall.

In other words, he made a big effort to be able to dangle his baby above the tigers.

They were medium sized tigers, maybe even more agile than more mature, heavier tigers. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

I agree the woman had a lapse in judgement and do not feel much sympathy for her. I am glad she will be ok. I am sad for the animals at the zoo and the zoo. There will be a law suit and the zoo will be found negligent in protecting the animals from the people or the people from the animals. If this is the second time someone has gone around the barrier then they have knowledge of it and did not fix it with a people proof barrier.

I hope the Jaguar stays safe and that they put up idiot barriers!

doxie

@Cakers3 

Thanks for the ogden nash poem! It brought back memories of a loved one that knew many of his poems.

@doxie1  Your term "lapse in judgement", imo, is the correct description to assign here, especially given none of us know this woman's history.  There is a delight that comes across in name calling and retribution wished upon her even to putting her down.  Shadows of witch burnings. 

The fathers (including M. Jackson) who hang their children over dangerous spaces or any such foolishness are usually all lapses in judgement.  People often don't think through "if I do XXX these are the possible outcomes" in all manner of life.  Throw in the selfie need for better/best and this is a possibility that proved real for this woman who wasn't thinking past her need for that ego boost. 

This all boils down to her being virtually unconscious, not living in the moment and being distracted.   An extreme example of how many people are living every day, always worried, anxious, distracted, unable to concentrate.

As for selfies, teenagers do it a lot but they are self-absorbed by nature and usually grow out of it.  Some don't and continue  into adulthood to be self-absorbed to the point of narcissism.  We don't know if this woman was that or made a one-time foolish mistake.  She's been through an ordeal, I bet any future time she's at a zoo and sees another person acting like they're going to do what she tried, she'll have a talk with them and maybe save a life.

@Cakers  Thanks for the delightful poem! 

Honored Contributor

So glad the cat is not going to be put down, i must have read it wrong ,sorry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be  Teenagers having lapses in judgment is one thing and somewhat understandable.  And yes, adults at any age can also have a "dim"moment, however, at 30+ yrs. you should know that a barrier between you and an aminal that can kill you is not a suggestion.

Michael Jackson dangling his baby over a balcony railing, or  Steve Irwin holding his then month old son over a fence with a croc below, is not a lapse in judgment, it's stupid and irresponsible.