Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stupid people taking selfies

ABC News is reporting tonight that the woman returned to the zoo today to apologize and admitted she was wrong.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp   I saw the same report on NBC news. They also reported from 2011 to 2017 259 people have died taking selfies. No picture is worth your life.

Esteemed Contributor

Thankfully, the jaguar will not be put down.

I believe that people who take these chances should be fined, have to pay for emergency treatment from the EMTs, and possibly face jail time.  This behavior is ridiculous and there needs to be consequences and compensation.  Yes, she was hurt and is lucky to be alive, but she put her life in jeopardy.  The EMTs who arrived to help might have been kept from a truly serious call because of her selfishness and stupidity.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

It amazes me how stupid people can be sometimes.

You have to wonder where did they left their brain! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

The issue is she climbed over a barrier to take a selfie, so yes, the selfie equates with the stupidity.  Without the need to get that selfie, she wouldn't have climbed over the barrier (hopefully).

We don't know how "stupid" this woman is in her life; this could have been a simple lapse in judgment and now we are stretching this into her buying alcohol and driving.

Nothing like taking a story and running with nonsense.  LOL

For heaven't sake.  She did a really dumb thing BECAUSE of selfies.

She paid a price, as she should have.

However, saying she has had 30 something years to hone her stupidity is..........stupid.

All of us have done some things that are "stupid" in our lifetime; it doesn't mean we've been fostering our "stupidity" all this time.

@Cakers3 

With age comes life experiences and at least a little common sense should be learned in time.....and some things are pretty OBVIOUS...if she hasn't learned that....then the elevator must not go all the way to the top.... Woman Frustrated

@SpurtAgree but the issue stated was that this woman had built up stupidity all these years and I disagree with that post.  We cannot determine that the woman spent a life not  developing common sense or not-that is where I took the opposing vp.

To us it is all common sense; agree.  But it turned into she uses alcohol and drives.

Off point.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I have never taken a selfie.  I do not understand why people want a picture of themselves?

Honored Contributor

We laud people for stupid stuff all the time now.  It is popular to take changes because apparently it has been decided that things like fire/hot, mountain/slippery, and sea/stormy and deep have been negated by modern technology and that people are just too wonderful to be cautious.  

I always have thought you ought to have to post a bond to climb a mountain or hike in a state or national park in case they have to launch a search and rescue effort to save your stupid butt.   

Esteemed Contributor

It seems like people get more self absorbed everyday. Anything they can post to get some attention. What is wrong with a society so self absorbed?

I'm way beyond thirty, but I wasn't seeking attention at that time in my life. Heck, we had just gotten a computer when I was thirty, let alone have social media. I don't get it. I guess its an obsession.

Honored Contributor

I have zero sympathy for anyone who crosses the barrier where a wild animal is so they can take a selfie. She is lucky she wasn’t killed since I am sure the jaguar felt threatened...and the woman was the aggressor
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We laud people for stupid stuff all the time now.  It is popular to take changes because apparently it has been decided that things like fire/hot, mountain/slippery, and sea/stormy and deep have been negated by modern technology and that people are just too wonderful to be cautious.  

I always have thought you ought to have to post a bond to climb a mountain or hike in a state or national park in case they have to launch a search and rescue effort to save your stupid butt.   

I'm sure there are probably several arguments against that but I agree that it seems a reasonable bond particularly for a single or two-person group who is going in for longer than a day and higher than a certain level or a time of year that makes hiking more dangerous.  Anytime a helicopter is more likely to be put into the sky or even a Search and Rescue Team.  The bond would certaily force people to be extra prepared so they could recoup their bond upon return. I can already hear the naysayers.  I completely disagree with the hardliners who object to any search at public expense.