Esteemed Contributor

I have a 20-year old Kenmore Elite dishwasher that all I do is close the door and turn the dial.  Right now, it has a leak that is probably a hole in one of the hoses.  DH wants to get a new dishwasher (preferably LG to match our fridge), but after reading all of the above, I am voting for the new hose and calling it a day!  Thanks, everyone, for more ammunition on my part!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I have what I consider a newer dishwasher. It is a three year old Kenmore dishwasher and I close the door first, then push the button for the wash cycle I want and finally push the start button. 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Mine works that way as well.  I thought all newer models (as in last 10 years) worked that way. 

i thought that that was how they all worked also.

we have a kitchenaid and i love it. it does remember the last cycle you used so all i really have to do is press START, unless i want to change my preferences. it does say to run the hot water at the sink for a few minutes when the initial cycle begins.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have a Bosch and I love it.  (Bought it after our crappy Maytag died after six years of less than daily useage.  Rinse-aid dispenser stopped working after a year and they never could figure out why or how to fix it.  We lived with it until the whole thing died.)

I close the door, select the cycle I want (it remembers the most recent) and push the start button.  Easy and it's already lasted longer than the previous one with no issues.

I don't have to clean the filter every day; seldom do.  It's only if food debris  has built up in it and that rarely happens.  I also have a Bosch washing machine, purchased after (you guessed it) our very expensive Maytag died a premature death.

I'll never buy Maytag again.

Respected Contributor

Same with my Jenn Air. It saves the settings from the previous cycle, so I just push start.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

I have an older Whirlpool dishwaster, probably 15 years old or more, that you close the door and then pick your cycles.  As soon as you pick the cycle/s it starts.

Mine is 16 years old and works the same way. I've never had an appliance that one progra!med before locking it down or shutting the lid. Got my new high-efficiency washer/dryer about 20 months ago and I'm still trying to figure out some of the settings. It's certainly not intuitive!

Honored Contributor

Re: Stupid appliances

[ Edited ]

I have a kitchenaid elite dishwasher...my second one in 30 years...wouldn’t buy anything else. So quiet I have to check the light to see if I remembered to start it. Nephew worked on appliances while he was in college and then several years afterwards; he has been tinkering with appliances since he was a very little boy. He said if Bosch didn’t sell dishwashers, he would never had made any money; service calls for Bosch three times as much as other brands. He warned my sister about them but she bought one anyway...so now she calls him to come fix it several times in a month. Drives my nephew nuts!