Honored Contributor

Re: Stumped! What Would You Do...Wedding?

Second time around, to the same man within 3 years, not only would I not attend the second reception, I wouldn't give a second gift either, not even a token gift.

Honored Contributor

@newlook456 wrote:

For me this is a simple answer.  I would re-gift since she is re-marrying the same man.  Do you have something in your household that you received and did not appreciate.  Give it to her with your regards.

Don't know if you meant this to be funny but it is! (and a creative idea!Woman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

If they are getting married in a private ceremony by a JOP  why are they having "attendants" at all?   The ceremonies of this type that I am familiar with consist of two witnesses and the B&G .  Please don't tell me she is having bridesmaids and your daughter has to buy another dress for this fiasco.

Honored Contributor

Send her a lovely congratulatory wedding card and that's it.

..... read my tag line....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@newlook456 wrote:

For me this is a simple answer.  I would re-gift since she is re-marrying the same man.  Do you have something in your household that you received and did not appreciate.  Give it to her with your regards.

Don't know if you meant this to be funny but it is! (and a creative idea!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@newlook456 wrote:

It might have been meant as a joke but I actually think it's pretty good idea.  I think many don't understand the situation.  This bride is a someone she is close too and her daughter's good friend and her daughter is in the wedding.  And her husband want's to give a present and if she is going to the wedding, she has to give a present.  A modest one but she still must give one.  Re-gifting is a brilliant idea.  We all have something brand new that we've never used and will never use.  It's sitting there taking up space.  This is the ideal way of killing to birds with one stone.

Respected Contributor

OK, I am trying to look at this situation with a "kinder" outlook then what precipated my previous comment.

I truely hope the reason the couple is reuniting is because of love and commitment which they realized they weren't ready for their first go around.

I chose to ignore the biological clock issue.  Hopefully that is just off the cuff chatting between two girlfriends and not meant to be serious.

The post marriage celebration.  Ok, I give in on this also.  They want to celebrate their reuniting with friends and family.  But definitely the couple should not set up registries and should even state "no gifts" on the invites.  Attendees do what they want regardless.  If people decide to give a gift of money, that would then be the decision of the attendee, not the couple.

Honored Contributor

This couple should request No gifts in their invite.

Honored Contributor

Are the parents paying for this big reception?  Does hallmark have a card for this specific occasion?  Lol. 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@newlook456 wrote:

It might have been meant as a joke but I actually think it's pretty good idea.  I think many don't understand the situation.  This bride is a someone she is close too and her daughter's good friend and her daughter is in the wedding.  And her husband want's to give a present and if she is going to the wedding, she has to give a present.  A modest one but she still must give one.  Re-gifting is a brilliant idea.  We all have something brand new that we've never used and will never use.  It's sitting there taking up space.  This is the ideal way of killing to birds with one stone.

The OP said her husband does not want to give a gift.

Furthermore, I disagree with the notion that she must give a present if she's going to the wedding.  That is a traditional rule meant for traditional weddings and does not apply to this situation.

I do agree that, if she attends the wedding and wishes to give a gift, a re-gifted gift is appropriate!