Honored Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

@Preds wrote:

Well, that's the way I feel when I see the ones I make. Smiley Happy

Me too.

Honored Contributor

nah, no comment. But the OP is not a jerk. Too many label, too much judgment, takes the wind right out of the sails!!!

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I don't see where being able to pick out the errors would make someone a jerk but pointing out errors (outside of teachers in classrooms and work situations where accuracy is important) radomly to others on a daily basis (personal casual conversations, emails, forums, etc) is unnecessary, and would make someone seem a jerk for doing it when it doesn't matter.

@Pook, you get my vote for "Best Answer" to that one, on this.

Respected Contributor

Typos can change the meaning of a sentence, how could that not be important?  

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I am *famous* for spelling piece wrong.  Sorry, there is a mental block there and I want to spell it like this....peice. 

Sometimes, when I really care enough to spell the very best, I sing to myself "We finally found a piece of the pie".

It's not so much spelling that puts a bee in my bonnet, but words that aren't even words.....like 'alot'.  Not a word!!!

I have a boss who constantly types noone instead of no one.  I cannot tell you how many times I've told him the correct way to spell that but for some reason, he keeps doing it wrong.

Sometimes he would copy a letter I did over to another file and change it around but it would end up riddled with errors.  He'd leave my initials on the bottom because, well, that was yet another thing that was a mistake.  One day I finally told him to please make sure he took my initials off because I didn't want people thinking I was at all responsible for his letters.  LOL   

Honored Contributor

I think a lot of us who have been in teaching naturally see problems with agreement (I done, her and me,), and especially the over use of 's when it's only showing plural, and spelling, but I would never point it out.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Maybe those who did the study are the jerks?

After decades in a classroom where my job was to spot errors, I rarely have to work to see typos -  pointing them out is different.  I think pointing out obvious typos just to find something negative to comment on falls into jerkdom  (a word I suspect does not exist!).

Exactly how I feel.  I catch errors all the time.  I rarely if ever point them out.  I don't point them out on this board.  I would say that 99.9% of the time, when someone points out a typo on this board, they are doing it to get a dig in and/or feel superior. 

Most of the time, even with the typo, we all know what the poster was getting at so why point out the error?  There have been a few times when I've honestly not been able to understand what someone is posting due to errors and I just move on. 

My favorite is when someone points out the error in someone elses' posts and their own is riddled with errors.  Woman LOL      

There are typos (no biggie) and there are spelling and grammatical errors. The only time I'm ever tempted, and rarely, do - point out such an error is with a smug poster who declaims to all and sundry that they have the facts, their opinion is the correct one, etc. in a supercilious manner to the Lesser Beings - while their post contains a large grammatical error or errors or the misspelling(s) of a word or words most people know how to spell. Set yourself up as perfect (in writing), and IMO you'd better be (in writing).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Sort of hard to conclude much of anything when the study is limited to questionnaires and 80 some participants.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Maybe they should do a study on grammatical errors.  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Heck, I'm proud of myself if I get the correct word half the time.  My fingers and brain don't always align and I'll put some word in a sentence that has absolutely nothing to do with anything.  It'll be a word, and it will be spelled correctly, but doesn't belong in the sentence.   A friend of mine always laughs at my "crappy dip".  I'm just known for coming up with weird stuff.