Honored Contributor

Study finds art classes good for well-being

A study of 1300 primary care patients in the UK's health system (the NHS) shows that even one art class per week for an eight week time span can improve a patient's mood and/or well-being.

From the European Journal of Public Health

There's a link to the EJPH in the second article.

I think I've found my new hobby.  

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/wellbeing/art-class-nhs-patient-care-treatment-wellbeing/

http://www.psypost.org/2018/03/new-study-provides-evidence-art-courses-can-improve-mental-wellbeing-...

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Study finds art classes good for well-being

I could never draw anything but it does sound like a good hobby.

Respected Contributor

Always wished I had artistic talent. I am very analytical. When I was in fifth grade, my teacher told my mother that I was a natural at art (just because I liked to draw). She recommended that I take a fun art class during  the summer. That's when I discovered that compared to the other kids in the class, I didn't have an artistic bone in my body. That being said, creativity can be demonstrated in other ways. I do play flute and have had a few pieces of creative writing published, but drawing.....I can only wish! Still, if you like doing something and it makes you feel good, why not go for it?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Hi @lovescats and @Yardlie

I don't think the folks taking the art classes were in them to be "good" but more to spend time with others, and be, in a way, productive, while having fun.

I'm a big proponent of being productive, whether it means just for yourself at one end of the spectrum, or becoming a huge commercial success at the other end.

The one thing I'd watch for is someone who tells you "you can't."  One of the art teachers at my DD's elementary school (many, many years ago) told one of her friends to "stay inside the lines."  Does that even sound like an art teacher?  I would think an art teacher would be all about freedom of expression.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach ... It sounds more like that art teacher was trying to teach manual dexterity than art. It's amazing what you can learn from taking an art class even if you are not artistic.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli